Healthy summer eating is always a trend on all social media platforms because it allows us to share and copy what we are doing to maintain our well-being. When grocery stores start stocking up on graham crackers, marshmallows, firewood and chocolate, we all know what that means: it's officially s'mores season. Summer camp is an essential experience for campers and staff alike because it brings both groups together to celebrate festivities and to grow together. However, with the excess overload of nostalgic snacks, it is hard to forget our health. Below are five tips you can use to maintain your healthy summer eating goals and also relish in the cravings of sweet and sticky melted marshmallow. 

1. Drink lots of water. 

At camp, we can easily forget to drink water when there are so many other flavorful options available during each meal. However, drinking water is a part of healthy summer eating because it provides crucial benefits that will keep you energized throughout the whole day. By drinking at least eight glasses of water a day, you are increasing your body's intake of water which in turn, decreases the risk of dehydration, heat exhaustion and heat strokes, conditions that can be fatal during outdoor activities. And if you do not like drinking plain water, you can always add lemon juice or sliced cucumbers to spruce it up. 

2. Eat fruits or vegetables with every meal.

Like water, fruits and vegetables are a great source for healthy summer eating because it is enriched with tons of vitamins and antioxidants that will not only allow you to be your best self, but also help to strengthen the body against harmful diseases. Watermelon alone is a favorite summer fruit and a good one at that too because 92% of it is just water! Fresh berries such as blackberries, blueberries, grapes (yes, grapes are a part of the berry family) are rich in anthocyanins. Anthocyanin is a super antioxidant that can lower the risk of certain cancers and improve memory functions. Many veggies, such as kale, spinach and lettuce are good for you because they are packed with iron, vitamin C and K, which can aid in bone health, lowering the risk of diabetes and improving digestion. And if you do not like to eat your leafy greens alone, blend it up with tons of berries to create a smoothie if there is one handy in the cafeteria. You might start a new camp trend. 

3. Snack responsibly between meals.

Snacking is an essential part of everyone's day because it diminishes the urge to eat two double decker hamburgers for dinner. Although snacking is rewarding, snacking in moderation is key to a healthy summer eating journey. Eating candy, snack bars or the tiny decadent cupcakes available on the snack table is terrible for the body because although you may feel energized after, your body is not receiving the nutrients and vitamins it needs. In Lisa Beartlein's article, she states, "Eating small, frequent snacks keeps your metabolism revved up and helps normalize blood sugar." With that said, snacks such as almonds, walnuts, dried fruit, and tuna are great to eat three to fours hours after a meal to maintain the flow of blood sugar throughout the body. 

4. Stay Fit.

While eating healthy, staying fit is key to keeping or achieving that summer bod. However, staying fit is not limited to physical activities. Staying fit applies to the mental and emotional aspects of your body because if you are mentally and emotionally detached from what's in front of you, it can lead to poor eating habits. In order to prepare yourself for another enthusiastic packed camp day, it is important to have personal time at the end of the day. This would allow the opportunity for you to reflect on your thoughts, write in a journal, read or catch up on your fav summer show. Do something healthy and relaxing for yourself. Your brain and well-being will thank you. Eating breakfast is the most important meal because it is the first meal you eat after 6-8 hours of 'fasting' or sleeping. When you wake up, your body is craving nutrients which is why eating your first meal with protein, veggies, fruits and lots of water is a positive start to the beginning of every day. In fact, eating breakfast can help regulate your metabolism and food cravings throughout the day.

5. Reward Yourself.

Eating healthy does not always mean eating servings of protein, grain, fruit and veggie. Yes, you can make extra s'more sammies. Resisting the urge to eat your favorite summer snacks is inefficient to healthy eating because you're forcing yourself to condemn to a lifestyle you may not be used to. In fact, cutting desserts and other sweet treats completely from your diet can lead to an increased rate of poor eating habits. To avoid that downhill, get that slice of blueberry pie in the cafeteria. You earned it!