Now that classes have come to a close and we’ve all taken years off of our lives in the process of studying for studying for finals, we have more free time to spend with friends and food. Here are some food-centric ideas to keep you entertained over the summer:

1. Outdoor Performances

summer activities

Photo courtesy of shakespeareonthesound.org

The summer is stocked with outdoor performances like the Boston Pops Orchestra free Independence Day concert or Shakespeare On the Sound. One of my favorite evening activities this time of year is to pack up an assortment of finger foods and head to a park to watch a concert or a play with a group of friends.

2. Ice Cream (!!!!!)

summer activities

Photo by Lily Allen

For me, ice cream has always been an event in and of itself. If you’re a fellow ice cream fanatic or just want a frozen treat, the summer features events like The Jimmy Fund Scooper-Bowl at Boston City Hall Plaza where you can try all the best varieties in one afternoon.

3. The Paint Bar

summer activities

Photo courtesy of juduoqu.com

When the weather occasionally takes a turn for the worse, you can have an indoor picnic while painting and drinking wine at venues like The Paint Bar in Boston. I went last week and brought some homemade sushi that my friends and I grazed on while we worked on our masterpieces. It was really an awesome way to kick off the summer.

#SpoonTip: I’d recommend bringing food that you can eat with one hand and that isn’t too messy – you don’t want to focus so much on the food that you forget about your painting!

4. Sunset Sandwiches

summer activities

Photo by @Steven Isaacson on flickr.com

There’s nothing quite like watching the sun set over Boston with a Dave’s sandwich in your hand and pals by your side. The Middlesex Fells Reservation is really close to Tufts’ campus and houses some incredible spots for sunset watching. My friends and I love to pick up sandwiches and walk up near the Bear Hill Tower to peacefully eat dinner.

5. Cookouts

summer activities

Photo by Bernard Wen

Cookouts and barbecues are a summertime staple. Can you think of a food that doesn’t taste better on the grill? Take advantage of the warm weather and ride your bike to a farmers’ market to pick up some fresh eats. Then invite your friends over to cook outside. Cookouts are a great way to maximize time spent outside and eat delicious food.