Ramadan is a holy month observed by Muslims in which they abstain from food (and yes, that includes water) from dawn until sunset. It goes without saying that you need to consume food before fasting that will provide you with energy throughout the day. So the question arises. What exactly should I eat? Don’t worry. I gotchu fam.

1. Water

suhoor

Photo courtesy of giphy.com

I don’t really think I need to elaborate on this one. It’s summer, you’re hot, you’re sweating… ergo water. I try to drink water right after I break fast, then throughout the night, and again during Suhoor. If you think you’ve drank enough water… drink more.

2. Dates

suhoor

Photo by Caroline Liu

Dates are like nature’s Cliff bars. They are full of dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Since they are full of simple sugar, they provide a quick burst of energy to help replenish the body.

3. Carbohydrates

suhoor

Photo by Eva Reynolds

Fasting is draining that is why it is so essential to have slow energy releasing complex carbohydrates as part of your suhoor meal. The best way to incorporate these into your diet is with whole grain. Try something like avocado on whole grain toast or hummus on whole grain pita bread.

4. Protein

suhoor

Photo courtesy La Fuji Mama

Protein is a must when fasting because your body needs alternative sources of energy when fasting. The great thing about protein is that it literally is in everything. You could have baked egg and avocado, a veggie quiche, or try out this great quinoa breakfast recipe.

5. Fruit, vegetables, and everything in between

suhoor

Photo courtesy of today.com

My go-to drink to incorporate all of these is a smoothie. They are easy to make and are delicious. Just fill your blender up with milk, kale, and bananas, and you get a little bit of everything. Try out some of these other smoothies.