March is upon us. In this new month, we need new drinks because PBRs and Pornstars just won’t cut it for St. Patty’s Day this year. Show a little green-blooded patriotism this drinking season with these classic cocktail recipes spiced up with some delicious Irish Whiskey.

Let’s get started.

1. Whiskey Sour

irish whiskey

Photo courtesy of Brittney Bush Bollay on flickr.com

Whiskey sour is a drink that you can find in any bar. Make it by shaking Irish whiskey, lemon juice, sugar (or sour mix), and ice in a cocktail shaker and then straining it into a rocks glass. Traditionally, it’s garnished with a cherry, an orange or lemon slice and a cherry, and can be served with or without ice. Weirdly, many recipes include egg whites, which results in a creamier and surprisingly delicious version.

Either version go down dangerously easy. But if you don’t like the taste of alcohol, check out one of these cocktails.

2. Manhattan

irish whiskey

Photo courtesy of Tim Sackton on flickr.com

The Manhattan is a bartending classic that is made by stirring whiskey, sweet vermouth, and a dash of bitters over ice, then straining it into a cold cocktail glass. Two parts whiskey to one part vermouth is the traditional ratio. Make the “Perfect Manhattan” by using half dry vermouth and half sweet vermouth. Angostura bitters are also normally used and can be substituted with any other bitters in a pinch.

Serve it with a maraschino cherry and go impress somebody with how classy you look. You can also impress everyone by telling them these fun alcohol facts.

3. Old Fashioned

irish whiskey

Photo courtesy of Jeff Wilcox on flickr.com

Show some old fashioned class by adding sugar, a dash of bitters, a splash of water, and a slice of either lemon or orange peel to a rock glass. Muddle it together using a spoon, then add whiskey, a cherry, and ice.

Strong, flavourful, and sophisticated, it’s no wonder the Old Fashioned is Don Draper’s cocktail of choice. But if you’re not sure what to order, find out what you should be drinking according to your zodiac sign here.

4. Irish Coffee

irish whiskey

Photo courtesy of Jan Mennens on flickr.com

The Irish Coffee is another drinking staple. This beautiful mix of caffeine and alcohol may not be appropriate for a night of partying, but it’s certainly best paired with any late-night studying during the month of March. Fix yourself one by nearly filling a glass with dark black coffee, adding a teaspoon of sugar, a shot of Irish whiskey, and some cream to top it off. Whipped cream from a can will do if there’s no other option.

Treat yourself and add a cherry to the top, because why not?

5. Boilermaker

irish whiskey

Photo courtesy of Peter Baker on flickr.com

A Boilermaker is made by dropping a shot of whiskey into a pint of beer, similarly to how you’d make a Jagerbomb. But if you’re using whiskey and beer in the month of March, there’s no better option than Irish whiskey and a cold pint of Guinness. It doesn’t get more Irish than that.

Be careful, as these are deceptively strong and incredibly delicious.