College life, particularly your predictable dining hall and hectic schedule, might have you feeling nostalgic for the good ol’ lunch box days of your favorite kid snacks that were easy, quick and delicious.

The good news is that some of your favorite kid snacks are in fact nutritious, and make the perfect snack for both growing toddlers and busy college students.

These five reliable snacks kept you going on the playground, and will keep you going from class to class to class.

1. Apple Sauce

childhood snacks

Photo by Kelly Ho

I know what you’re thinking: it looks like baby food. Well, pureed fruit is great for babies and young adults, so no shame. In fact, a serving of 100% apple sauce is around 100 calories. Like apples, applesauce contains no fat, natural sugar, and no fiber from the skin of the apple that will slow your digestion, keeping you full and ready to take on that 3 hour class.

2. String Cheese

childhood snacks

Photo by Tori Baier

I’ll admit that some string cheese does in fact taste like plastic. However, if you go with a reliable and natural brand like Sargento, string cheese can be a delicious and nutritious snack. My friends think that I have an obsession with cheese, but how can you not? Cheese not only tastes amazing, but provides a great source of calcium, protein, and fat. Your body does need fat in moderation, and so on-the-go, pre-packaged cheese is the perfect way to incorporate it into your diet.

3. Carrots and Hummus

childhood snacks

Photo by Kendra Valkema

I don’t know about you, but for pretty much my entire childhood, carrots and hummus was my go to after school snack. Chickpeas contain 12.5 grams of fiber per cup, making hummus rich in fiber. Paired with colorful, crunchy carrots, which are loaded with antioxidants like vitamin C, carrots and hummus makes a satisfying and tasty snack. You can find packets or containers of hummus along with bagged carrots at pretty much every grocery store.

4. Peanut Butter and Celery

childhood snacks

Photo by Izzi Clark

While you’re buying your carrots and hummus, make sure to grab some celery sticks and 100% natural nut butter as well. Celery, which has virtually no calories, but does have a satisfying crunch for your inner kid, pairs great with a protein-rich peanut or almond butter. The key with dense nut butters, with their high fat and caloric content, is moderation. You can easily find individual packets, which keeps this snack healthy, filling, and most importantly, portable. While I’ve maintained my dislike of raisins since pre-school snack time, skip the “ants,” as they’re loaded with added sugar. If you’re looking for something sweet, try topping with bits of dark chocolate instead. Trust me, it’s delicious.

While I’ve maintained my dislike of raisins since pre-school snack time, skip the “ants,” as they’re loaded with added sugar. If you’re looking for something sweet, try topping with bits of dark chocolate instead. Trust me, it’s delicious.

5. Yogurt

childhood snacks

Photo by Justin Schuble

I remember constantly seeing those enticing commercials for Gogurts and Danimals on Nickelodeon as a kid, and obnoxiously begging for them in the supermarket. While they certainly made eating entertaining, those yogurts are packed with sugar and chemicals. However, with no, or just the right amount of added sugar, yogurt can be a sweet, yet excellent source of protein and calcium. Better yet, the natural probiotics found in yogurt will aid your digestive and immune system. Perfect for a sleep-deprived college kid.