San Antonio, known for the San Antonio Spurs, the Alamo, the River Walk, and of course AWESOME food. Whether you like Mexican food, Italian, barbecue, or dessert (yes it is its own food group), we’ve got you covered. Are you hungry yet? Here are 30 things you must eat in San Antonio before you die.

1. Smoked Chicken at The Barbecue Station

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of mysanantonio.com

The Barbecue Station is known to be the best barbecue in South Texas and their smoked chicken proves that true. The chicken is cooked to perfection with mouth-watering BBQ flavor and sides that can include creamed corn, potato salad, green beans, cole slaw, pinto beans, or fries. Not to mention the smoked chicken meal is only $8.99, so it fits perfectly in the road trip budget.

2. The Tostada Bean Burger at Chris Madrid’s

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Chris Madrid’s describes the Tostada Burger as “Mama Madrid’s homemade refried beans, chips, onions & melted cheddar cheese. Top it off with our freshly made salsa.” It’s the perfect marriage between Mexican food and American food. Locals and tourists say it is a must try, so get on it because the clock is ticking.

3. Puffy Tacos at Henry’s Puffy Tacos

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of henryspuffytacos.com

Puffy Tacos are San Antonio’s most famous dish. As Guy Fieri once said, “It’s fluffy, puffy, and you can’t get enough-y.” Well said Guy. Well said. Incase you aren’t a texan, a puffy taco is different from a regular taco, in that the tortillas are fried to deliciousness. At Henry’s Puffy Tacos you can get shredded chicken, bean & cheese, carne guisada, spicy beef fajita, or spicy chicken fajita tacos. It’s a true Tex-Mex experience. 

4. Menudo at Mi Tierra Café y Panadería

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of foodspotting.com

Menudo A.K.A tastiness in a bowl, is a traditional Mexican soup made with beef stomach in a broth with red chili pepper base. Yes, I just said beef stomach, and no, there is no need to stress. It tastes really great and it is also said to be an awesome hangover cure after too many cervezas. Mi Tierra Cafe Y Panaderia, is known for having the best menudo, so be sure to give it a try.

5. Chips and Guacamole at Boudro’s Texas Bistro on the Riverwalk

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of mysanantonio.com

We all know guac is BAE, and Boudro’s Texas Bistro’s guac is no exception. I should stop talking so you can buy your plane ticket and get yourself some. Don’t fret if you can’t go to San Antonio, their famous recipe is online. What would a bucket list be without guac on it?

7. Nutella x3 at Tre Trattoria

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of Jason Dady Restaurant Group [mysanantonio.com]

This is a Nutella game changer. It consists of a Nutella cake covered in Nutella ganache and served with Nutella chocolate mousse. Can you say dessert heaven? It is one of the best desserts in San Antonio, hands down.

8. Enchiladas Mexicanas at Rosario’s Mexican Cafe Y Cantina

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of deglutenizedanddelicious.com

Enchiladas Mexicanas are three cheese enchiladas that are served with avocado, cabbage lime slaw, and a grilled jalapeño pepper. At Rosario’s,they are topped with fried potatoes, carrots, cilantro & drizzled with sour cream. #foodgoals am I right? Rosario’s has won multiple Best of San Antonio awards so it only makes sense that their enchiladas are on the list of things to eat in San Antonio before you die.

9. The Tostada Mixta at El 7 Mares

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of sacurrent.com

This dish comes loaded with fish ceviche, shrimp, octopus and crab meat mixed with fresh pico and hot serrano peppers. What’s not to love? El 7 Mares is known for having some of the best seafood in San Antonio, and the Tostada Mixta is a must try for seafood lovers.

10. New Orleans Barbecued Shrimp at The Cookhouse

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of thecookhouserestaurant.com

The Cookhouse is popular for it’s authentic cajun dishes. What dish is the crowd’s favorite? The New Orleans BBQ Shrimp. For those of you who have never had barbecue shrimp, it is sautéed shrimp in Worcestershire-spiked butter sauce. Yum.

11. Chilaquiles Verdes at Vida Mia Mexican Cuisine

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Chilaquiles Verdes are a traditional Mexican peasant dish of fried tortillas bathed in green salsa. They are a San Antonio favorite and people rave about Vida Mia’s chilaquiles. This dish is basically a fiesta in your mouth.

12. Pork Lovers Pizza at Dough Pizzeria 

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of doughpizzeria.com

This pizza is #goals. It is easily the most popular pizza in town and a must try when in the San Antonio area. The name says it all. The pizza consists of House made sausage, speck, Sopressata salami, pancetta, house made mozzarella, and tomato sauce. This delish dish was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, that’s how awesome it is.

13. Seared Sea Scallops at Bliss

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of Bliss

Can we just stare at this dish for a moment? Bliss, one of the top ranked restaurants in town, describes it as “seared sea scallops, pepper jack-white cheddar Anson Mills grits, sautéed spinach, avocado mousse, and cilantro lime jalapeno beurre blanc.” You fancy huh? Fancy or not, it’s one of the best seafood dishes in San Antonio, so add it to your food bucket list.

14. Macaroon at Bakery Lorraine 

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of bakerylorraine.com

Macarons a.k.a the most photogenic dessert ever are a hit in San Antonio at Bakery Lorraine. They have a wide variety of flavors such as dark chocolate lavender, lemon, pistachio, Earl Grey, raspberry and salted caramel. After you’ve gotten one of the above dishes for dinner, these macarons top off a perfect San Antonio foodie experience as dessert.

15. Tamales at Tellez Tamales & Barbacoa

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of foodspotting.com

Tellez Tamales & Barbacoa make some of the best tamales in town. Tamales are a popular meal in San Antonio and no trip to San Antonio would be complete without it. There is often a long line to get them, that’s how good they are.

16. Southern Sweet Cream Waffle at The Guenther House

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of flavorboulevard.com

This waffle from The Guenther House is to die for. The Belgian-style treats are fluffy and the perfect amount of sweet. Just incase you love it way too much, they sell the waffle mix to take home. Winning. The grounds surrounding the house are beautiful and make waiting for a table completely worth it.

17. Chicken Fried Steak at Lulu’s Bakery and Cafe 

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of foodspotting.com

Everything is bigger in Texas right? Well even the Chicken Fried Steak at Lulu’s Bakery and Cafe is the size of Texas. If you’re looking for the ultimate comfort food, this is it. Don’t like gravy? You can get queso on your Chicken Fried Steak. Sounds dangerous but so delicious at the same time.

18. Pea Toast at FOLC

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Odds are you’ve never heard of or tried Pea Toast, but this dish from FOLC will create a craving you never knew you had. FOLC’s Pea Toast combines house-made ricotta with pea shoots on toasted house-made bread. It’s a nice light meal when you aren’t desiring a heavy one and a necessary try when in the San Antonio area. Plus, it’s just the prettiest dish you’ve ever seen.

19. Tonkotsu Ramen at Kimura

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of expressnews.com

Wanting an Asian dish when in San Antonio? Kimura has you covered. Their Tonkotsu Ramen is highly raved about. What’s Tonkotsu you ask? It is ramen served in a pork bone broth with a soft-boiled egg, nori, marinated shiitake mushrooms, spring onions, and bean sprouts. It is definitely not your average college ramen experience by any means.

20. Sticky Toffee Pudding at Biga on the Banks

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of trevsbistro.com

Do I even need to convince you to try this? Look at how freaking good that looks. Biga on the Bank’s menu describes The Sticky Toffee Pudding as their comfortingly rich signature dessert, inspired by the British classic with crème anglaise. So fancy, so tasty. Boys, I highly recommend taking your girl here. After all, there is no better way to a woman’s heart than through dessert.

21. Short Rib Pastrami at The Granary ‘Cue and Brew

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of tmbbq.com

A barbecue editor of Texas Monthly said that The Granary serves the best pastrami in the country, so how could you not try it when in San Antonio? It is definitely one of the most popular barbecue dishes in Texas. What makes it so special? The smokey taste. The brisket is rubbed in simply coriander and black pepper, giving it a unique and flavorful taste.

22. The Torre de Mariscos (Seafood Tower) at El Bucanero

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of mysanantonio.com

A seafood tower. A tower of seafood. Yes it is real, and yes it is one of the best ways to do seafood in San Antonio. Not only does El Bucanero create excellent Mexican seafood, but they also provide a create dining experience that includes Mariachi bands.

23. Charcuterie Plate from Cured

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of mysanantonio.com

Charcuterie is the branch of cooking devoted to prepared meat products, such as bacon, ham, sausage, terrines, galantines, ballotines, pâtés, and confit. At Cured, there are plenty of options, all made in-house, and a portion of each charcuterie plate is donated to a charity of Cured’s choice.

24. Eggplant Josephine from Bella on the River 

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of mysanantonio.com

This super popular dish from Mediterranean restaurant Bella on the River, consists of fried eggplant, Texas Gulf Shrimp, sauce diablo, mozzarella cheese, and hollandaise sauce. The restaurant is known for being one of the most romantic dinner spots in San Antonio as well.

25. Twice Fried Chicken Wings at Hot Joy

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of expressnews.com

Hot Joy, an Asian inspired spot is said to have an interior that feels like a vintage kung fu movie, and their food is a funky twist on Asian flavors. The Twice Fried Chicken Wings is Hot Joy’s most popular dish. The twice fried wings are covered in crab fat caramel, peanuts, and cilantro oil. I know the description is scary, but they are a delicious and unique try.

26. Turkey Chupacabra at The Station Cafe

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of sacurrent.com

Looking for the best sandwich to try in San Antonio? This Turkey Chupacabra is it. It is a sweet & spicy chupacabra serrano sauce with smoked turkey on a homemade sandwich roll with melted cheddar, lettuce and tomato. The best part? It is only $4.95.

27. Breakfast Tacos at The Original Donut Shop

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of mysanantonio.com

San Antonians do not mess around with their breakfast tacos and The Original Donut Shop was voted as having the best. Their tortillas are fresh, and you can put anything your little heart desires into the tacos.

28. Taco Sundae at Brindles Awesome Ice Creams

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of Brindles Awesome Ice Creams on Facebook

Brindles Awesome Ice Creams has taco sundaes on Sunday (punny right?) and they are to die for. You get a waffle cone taco, 3 scoops of your favorite ice cream flavors, and then get to load it up with toppings. I’m screaming for this ice cream and so is the rest of San Antonio.

29. Ahi Tuna Tartar at Feast 

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of texaslifestylemag.com

The Ahi Tuna Tartar is a customer favorite at Feast. It is very fresh and well made. The great thing about Feast is that you don’t have to limit yourself to one dish, because their plates are meant for sharing. Get this dish and many others as well.

30. Brisket Grilled Cheese at Smoke Shack 

San Antonio

Photo courtesy of expressnews.com

This Brisket Grilled Cheese will rock your world. It’s the all american classic that everyone loves combined with a San Antonio barbecue twist. Not to mention it’s not your typical sourdough, but rather Texas toast. This gooey goodness will for sure leave you wanting more.