Pretty vegetables roasting on an open fire, Jack Daniels nipping at your nose.  It is that time of year again — camping season. If the s’mores, the beers, and the four hot dogs you just pounded down are making you feel heavy, here is a simple way to eat healthy on the campsite and actually enjoy your veggies.

1. Pick Your Veggies

roasted

Photo by Karina Roca

What are your favorite veggies to roast? Stop by your favorite grocery or even farmer’s market to see what is in the season. Zucchinis are in season now, and it is so delicious when you roast them. But I picked the mushroom, bell peppers, potatoes, and red onions. Once you have your vegetables, wash them thoroughly, dry, and cut them evenly. Different shapes bring more interesting textures, so you don’t have to cut them perfectly in shape. Lightly toss the vegetables with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.

2. Cover them up

roasted

Photo by Karina Roca

Place all of your cut vegetables into an aluminum tin with foil on top to cover. I encourage you to double your aluminum tin so that it is sturdy enough to hold all of your vegetables. A couple of sturdy aluminum tins becomes an excellent cooking tool when you are camping because ain’t nobody got a space like that in your camping bag.

3. Roast Those Babies

roasted

Photo by Karina Roca

When you finally get outdoors and get that fire started and reduced, place the covered vegetables on the embers of smoking wood. They will be done in just about 25 minutes, but make sure to check them and stir them in every 10 to 15 minutes to prevent any burning. Once they are done, they will be deliciously roasted and taste even better compared to your typical roasted vegetables in your convention oven. Also, they are a great healthy alternative when you are sick of having hotdogs while camping.

roasted

Voila! It is really that easy.