You’re in your dorm room “studying,” (AKA watching Netflix while your textbook is open in front of you) when suddenly it hits you: you’re starving. All you have is junk food, which you know won’t fill you up and you’ll be hungry again in 20 minutes. We’ve all had these moments. These tasty, healthy snacks are easy to make and will satisfy you so you don’t find yourself distracted from “studying.”

Savory:

1. Mug Eggs

dorm

Photo by Megan Prendergast

Don’t have time to go to the caf for breakfast? Does egg bar take too long? Make your own eggs just how you like them. Eggs are an inexpensive way to get protein and a rich source of many vitamins. Here’s how to make eggs in the microwave in 4 easy steps.

2. Dorm Room Guac

dorm

Photo by Jeanine Wells

Avocados: Earth’s gift to humans. Seriously, avocados are what make my life worth living. This fresh guacamole is super easy to make and is a refreshing alternative to jarred queso and salsa from the grocery store. If you want to be even healthier, buy whole grain tortilla chips.

3. Nachos in a Mug

dorm

Photo by Dina Cheney

Nachos aren’t always the healthiest, but if you make some healthier substitutes, like whole canned beans instead of refried beans, plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and low-fat shredded cheese, these nachos are actually a good snack to help keep you full but also keep off the pounds.

4. Breakfast Tacos

BfastTaco

Keeping with the Mexican theme, these breakfast tacos spice up an otherwise boring dorm breakfast. These tacos also hit the three major keys for dorm cooking: super easy to make, super healthy to make, and super cheap to make. Boom.

5. Fried Rice in a Mug

dorm

Photo by Katherine Baker

If you find that you’re bored with your usual mug eggs, try this recipe for fried rice in a mug. The recipe uses brown rice, any veggies you can find (or steal from the dining hall), and egg whites to make a yummy, on-the-go or in-the-bed snack that is actually healthy for you.

6. Mac ‘n Cheese in a Mug

dorm

Photo by Alex Weiner

While the store-bought mac is a fast and convenient way to get a quick snack, you have to admit that the powdered cheese and slightly watery consistency isn’t the most appealing when you want something with real substance.

This real mac ‘n cheese recipe only takes 5 minutes to cook and there you have it, a healthier version of a microwave version of mac ‘n cheese to enjoy in your dorm room.

7. Hummus

dorm

Photo by Parisa Soraya

My love for chickpeas is strong, so this is one of my favorite snacks on this list. Hummus is a fast, easy way to get your daily intake of fiber, protein, and heart-healthy unsaturated fats.

This hummus takes 5 minutes and then you’re on your way to hummus heaven. If you can’t make this in your dorm, buying it from the store is also a good way to get your hummus fix. Pair it with pretzels or even veggies if you’re feeling especially healthy.

8. Quiche in a Mug

dorm

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Another way to spice up your dorm breakfast but also keep it healthy is to try making eggs different ways. This classy quiche recipe makes it easy to feel fancy and healthy while cooking in your dorm.

Salty:

9. Roasted Chickpeas

dorm

Photo by Kirby Barth

Chickpeas are one of my favorite foods… but so are chips. Usually, when I go for a snack, I’ll grab my favorite barbecue potato chips and devour almost the entire family-sized bag. It’s right around this time that I feel pretty guilty and unhealthy.

Once I found this recipe, roasted chickpeas became my go-to potato chip replacement. Roasted chickpeas are super easy to make and you can make them any flavor you want. Hello variety. In addition to their tastiness, chickpeas are also a great source of protein, fiber, and iron, which help keep you full longer and boost your energy.

10. Zucchini Chips

dorm

Photo by Kirby Barth

Chips are always a go-to snack when you’re hanging out in your dorm. They may taste great, but what isn’t great is how bad they are for you. Try these zucchini chips to satisfy your craving for crunch without all the salt, empty calories, and trans fats found in regular chips.

11. Seaweed

dorm

Photo by Becky Hughes

Another substitute for potato chips is this super simple seaweed snack. Seaweed is rich in vitamins and low in calories, making it the perfect healthier alternative. You can add your own seasonings to give it your special spin.

12. Popcorn

dorm

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Microwave popcorn, a staple in most college dorm rooms, actually has some pretty bad for your health. Many brands use trans fats, loads of preservatives, and lots of chemicals in their popcorn. Buying organic, bagged popcorn or even popping the kernels yourself is a much healthier alternative to microwave popcorn.

If you are sick of boring old popcorn, check this article out to find some cool ways to pimp out your popcorn.

13. Cottage Cheese

dorm

Photo by Tess Wei

Cottage cheese is a super versatile, easy snack that is packed with protein, electrolytes, and casein, a slow-digesting milk protein that helps rebuild and repair muscle fibers and helps prevent muscle breakdown. Cottage cheese can be enjoyed a million different ways (I have a friend who likes eating it with marinara sauce), but try this recipe for a cool, Middle Eastern-style spin.

14. Kale Chips

dorm

Photo by Alex Tom

Kale, if you haven’t heard, is a leafy green that has taken over the internet. Almost every hipster on the internet has incorporated kale into their diet. Anything you can think of — smoothies, cookies, basically any food ever — they’ve put kale in it. If you haven’t already hopped on the kale bandwagon, you should try these kale chips. They’re easy to make and even easier to enjoy.

15. Trail Mix

dorm

Photo courtesy of robinskey.com

Trail mix is an awesome, on-the-go snack that you can tailor to your needs. Trail mix is super easy to make, and can be specified for what you want to get out of it. Protein? Carbs? Fiber? This article has trail mix recipes for all that and more.

16. Microwave Potato Chips

dorm

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

So maybe you can’t get over potato chips. They’re just so salty and greasy and crunchy and delicious… I get it. But they’re not the best snack to keep you motivated, potato chips actually make you feel more lethargic and unmotivated than before. If you’re really craving potato chips, try this recipe for microwave potato chips. They will satisfy your craving for salt and crunch while saving you from spiraling into a pit of grease and despair.

Sweet:

17. Nutella Energy Bites

dorm

Photo courtesy of simplegreenmoms.com

Want something sweet for a snack? Maybe a little chocolatey? Then these Nutella energy bites are the snack for you. With only five ingredients, this recipe combines oats, shredded coconut, chia seeds, honey, and (of course) Nutella to make a yummy, bite-sized snack that gives you energy and helps you get enough fiber, protein, and vitamins in your daily diet.

18. Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies

dorm

Photo by Maia Vernacchia

If you are like me, you never get up earlier than you have to for class (I actually got out of bed at 8:45 for my 9 am today…oops). So obviously, I never have enough time to make a real breakfast for myself. These banana oat breakfast cookies are a perfect, healthier snack for those running late to class or just on-the-go in general.

19. Frozen Banana Poppers

dorm

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

Bananas are a great source of potassium, energy, and can actually help with hangovers (hello Saturday morning snack, am I right?). Just dip the banana slices in greek yogurt, freeze, and you just made a great, healthy snack. Boom.

If you feel like these banana poppers are just too healthy, then try these slightly less healthy, chocolatey frozen banana bites.

20. Chocolate and Strawberry Oatmeal

dorm

Photo courtesy of theodysseyonline.com

This recipe for chocolate and strawberry oatmeal revamps oatmeal with a hip new look and yummy taste. This way you satiate your sweet tooth while also fueling up on fiber, calcium, and potassium.

21. Apple Pie à la Dorm

dorm

Photo by Ally Mark

This recipe for apple pie à la dorm takes a healthy spin on the classic apple pie, helping you get your dessert without eating your weight in candy bars from the vending machine in the lobby.

22. Yogurt Breakfast Parfait

dorm

Photo by Anna Loh

It might say, “breakfast” in the title, but these parfaits could be enjoyed anytime you want. These breakfast parfaits are easy to make the night before to grab on your way to class or as a snack for once you get back. Add in seasonal fruit or your favorite jam for a little extra sweetness.

23. Overnight Oats

dorm

Photo by Maggie Harriman

Overnight oats are another great way to make sure you have a good breakfast without all the getting up early or even cooking. They’re a little different from regular oatmeal, because you eat these overnight oats cold, but they’re definitely not lacking in nutrition.

24. Peanut Butter Apple Pinwheels

dorm

Photo by Marlee Warwick

This snack is a personal favorite of mine because my mom used to make it for me often when I was younger.

Apples are rich in antioxidants and dietary fiber, and peanut butter has protein and potassium, which lowers the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure, healthy fats, and vitamin E.

To make this pinwheel, spread as much peanut butter as you want on the tortilla. Chop the apple into small chunks and then spread them on top of the peanut butter. Lastly, sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top of the apples and roll the tortilla up like a burrito. You can eat it like a burrito or you can slice the roll into more manageable bites.

Now that you have all these awesomely healthy and easy-to-make snacks at your disposal, you can make the (little) effort it takes to be one of the healthier college students on campus. You’re going to be so glad you did this!

dorm