It seemed to me as if the second that the temperatures hit sweater weather, every popular site had an article or three about how to lose that beach bod, foods to eat to hibernate this winter, and calorie-filled drinks to cheers the end of bikini season with. But as much fun as funfetti cake and burgers are, should we really be switching out our entire diet for one that may bite us in the butt in the future?

When winter rolls around, most peoples minds (and stomachs) turn to pasta, meat, and potatoes, for good reason. There are definitely not as many fresh veggies available in the fall and winter, but that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your health, or the warm comfort foods you crave, on the days when walking to class seems like a chore. So here they are, 17 cold-weather comfort foods that won’t sacrifice your health:

1. Portobello Pizza

winter

Photo by Paige Twombly

Sick of the Domino’s delivery man knowing your name? Us too. Try switching up your usual order for this healthy version that you can make in your own kitchen.

2. Herby Barley Salad with Butter-Basted Mushrooms

winter

Photo courtesy of bonappetit.com

This creamy, cheesy, comfort salad will not only warm you up, but give you your veggie fix before you even realize it.

3. Maple Glazed Stuffed Squash

winter

Photo by Kendra Valkema

This stuffed squash is not only tasty, and made one of our own at Spoon, but filled with a bunch of satisfying carbs from the wild rice and all the nutrients you need to make it through the chilly walk to class.

4. Spaghetti Squash Pasta with Roasted Tomato Sauce

winter

Photo by Julia Maguire

Cut the cals on your usual pasta by subbing it out for this cozy dish. Plus, the roasted tomatoes are a huge upgrade from the jar of marinara.

5. Rapini Noodle Bowl

winter

Photo by Alyssa DiFrancesco

Satisfy your ramen needs by making these simple noodles with broccoli, and up your protein game by throwing some tofu in there too. No GMO’s, no MSG, no bad stuff.

6. Pumpkin Curry with Peanuts, Peas, and Crispy Spice Crusted Tofu

winter

Photo courtesy of thepigandquill.com

Get your protein fix while satisfying your curry cravings with this fall-inspired curry grain bowl.

7. Eggplant Chickpea Stew

winter

Photo by Amanda Shulman

This soup is super filling after a day on the slopes or a day in the library, and it’ll de-thaw your stomach after only a few spoonfuls.

8. Beet and Barley Risotto 

winter

Photo by Julie Kahng

Get the creamy and cozy risotto taste with the added protein and nutrients of barley, beets, and greens. And there’s wine in this, so how could it really go wrong?

9. Veggie Couscous in Coconut Miso Broth

winter

Photo courtesy of iwillnoteatoysters.com

This recipe is everything you need during the winter; a hearty, warm, and flavorful dish that will keep you full through all the hours you spend in front of the fire.

10. Spicy Pumpkin Soup

winter

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Sub out the calorie and fat rich heavy cream for greek yogurt and you have yourself a rich and nutritious meal that will keep you satisfied all day.

11. Warm Winter Chicken Stew

winter

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Skip the cream-based soups for this satisfying sweet potato and kale soup that will warm your stomach while giving you tons of vitamins.

#SpoonTip: if you replace the chicken with another protein such as beans or tofu, you cut about 35-45 minutes out of the recipe time

12. Shakshouka

winter

Photo by Jeanne Kassira

This traditional Tunisian dish will keep you satisfied with the egg and cheese while warming you up with all of it’s spices and flavor.

13. Honey and Curry Roasted Acorn Squash 

winter

Photo by Helena Lin

Whether in a salad, on a pita, or on top of your favorite grain, this squash fills your veggie requirement while giving you your cozy and sweet dish fix.

14. Ginger Curry Egg Drop Soup

winter

Photo by Julia Maguire

Not only is this egg drop soup warm and cozy, but the ginger and curry will fend off all of the colds and sicknesses coming your way from everyone who won’t stop coughing during lecture.

15. Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets and Pears 

2014-1028_quinoa-salad-with-roasted-beets-and-pear-015-670x447

What could remind you of winter more than the partridge in a pear tree? Add some beets and quinoa to those pears and you have yourself a healthy and sweet meal.

16. Vegan Carrot Soup

winter

Photo by Alexandra Kazimir

This warm fall soup tastes creamy and looks creamy, but it’s actually vegan. What a world we live in.

17. Crispy Quinoa Black Bean Burger

winter

Photo by Maggie Gorman

Burgers are satisfying after a day of winter winds, so why not make this healthy alternative? Make your meatless Monday just as tasty as every other day of the week.