Many of us look forward to swapping our iced lattes for steaming mochas as we welcome the first snowfall of the season, but the novelty quickly wears off when the sky takes on a permanent shade of gray and it starts getting dark long before happy hour.

For those times when merely looking out the window is downright depressing, whip up one of these colorful dishes and remind yourself that spring is just around the corner.

1. Mason Jar Salads

colorful

Photo by Bernard Wen

These portable layered salads will make all of your co-workers super jealous.

#SpoonTip: Putting the dressing at the bottom of the jar ensures that your salad won’t get soggy.

2. Lucky Charm Cookie Sandwiches

colorful

Photo by Kirby Barth

The favorite sugary cereal of our youth (and, TBH, our college days as well) makes a serious comeback in these marshmallow-studded cookie sandwiches.

3. Butternut Squash with Garlic and Thyme

colorful

Photo by Julia Maguire

Don’t let the Nickelodeon-esque orange hue throw you off — this slightly sweet and creamy butternut squash dish is a healthy (and way more colorful) sub for potatoes.

4. Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets and Pear

colorful

Photo by James Ransom

This quinoa salad is a great green salad-alternative, and beautiful to boot. The beets are roasted, then combined with cooked quinoa and accented with walnuts, ripe pears, and creamy feta.

5. Rainbow Cake

colorful

GIF by Domenica Garcia

All it takes is some cake mix, food coloring, and frosting to create this rainbow cake that’s guaranteed to rack up the Insta likes.

6. Wild Rice and Veggie Stuffed Pepper

colorful

Photo by Megan Prendergast

If you haven’t figured it out yet, fruits and veggies are the way to go if you’re looking to brighten up your diet, and this stuffed pepper recipe is no exception. Plus, it comes in its own edible serving dish, which is dope AF.

7. Healthy Banana Split 

colorful

Photo by Clarisse Callahan

This fun and healthy breakfast is a cinch to put together when you’re running late for your 8 am class. It’s also completely customizable — use whatever fruit is in season, swap the peanut butter for another nut butter, or try out different flavors of yogurt to liven up your breakfast routine.

8. Ruby Red Grapefruit and Shrimp Salad

colorful

Photo by Christin Urso

Contrary to popular belief, salads don’t have to be a boring mix of limp greens and veggies long past their prime. This gorgeous salad gets its color and crunch from shrimp, grapefruit, and almonds. Nothing boring about that.

9. Scrambled Eggs with Pesto

colorful

Photo by Christin Urso

These eggs are straight-up out of a Dr. Seuss book, but that doesn’t mean they don’t taste awesome. Try making your own pesto, or save time by using a store-bought version. Serve with a side of ham for the full Seuss experience.

10. Carbonara with Peas and Bacon

colorful

Photo by Daniel Schuleman

While the pasta itself isn’t exactly colorful, the bacon and peas rescue this easy weeknight-worthy dish and keep it from entering beige territory.

11. Roasted Rainbow Carrots

colorful

Photo by Elizabeth Tadie

Any dish with the word “rainbow” in it is bound to brighten up your day. Next time you’re at the farmer’s market, try picking up a few different colored carrots and showcase their hues with this simple recipe.

12. Double-Glazed Funfetti Donuts

colorful

Photo by Annie Madole

If you’re gonna eat a donut, you might as well go all out and eat the most epic donut ever. This recipe uses Funfetti (aka the greatest cake flavor of our generation) cake mix to create homemade donuts in just 35 minutes. Of course, icing and rainbow sprinkles are non-negotiable.

13. Beet Hummus

colorful

Photo by Keni Lin

Everyone’s favorite party dip gets a healthy upgrade with vitamin-packed beets that dye the final product a beautiful bright pink color. Here’s the recipe.

14. Vegan Carrot Soup

colorful

Photo by Viola Spahiu

This creamy, comforting soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day. Make a big batch on Sunday and feel the love all week long.

15. Fruity Pebbles Ice Cream Sandwiches

colorful

Photo by Phoebe Melnick

It may be freezing outside, but that doesn’t mean you have to swear off ice cream until June. Try these ice cream sandwiches and prepare for the sugar rush.

16. Green Smoothie

colorful

Photo by Kathryn Stouffer

You’ve seen them all over Instagram, and now it’s time to try ’em for yourself. You can follow this recipe, or just add a handful of spinach, kale, or other leafy greens to your favorite smoothie.

17. Booze-Infused Fruit Salad

colorful

Photo by Kristine Mahan

The real MVP of colorful foods is, of course, the classic fruit salad. However, this refreshing version gets a makeover with the addition of vodka. Because college.