We all have that one friend who smiles and shakes her head when someone asks her if she wants a freshly made, ooey-gooey brownie. Sure, it can be frustrating when you’re about to shovel five hot brownies into your mouth and it makes you want to scream “PLEASE, FOR ONCE JUST LIVE A LITTLE,” but honestly it’s just how she was raised. If you’re a true health freak you will do most, if not all, of the things below because I know first-hand what it’s like to be one.

1. You live, eat and breathe produce

Photo by Emily Maccabee

You know how people always say an apple a day keeps the doctor away? Welllll, if you’re like me, you probably eat two to five apples a day. In addition to eating apples, your fridge is 90 percent produce. Literally. 90 percent. If your friends didn’t know you any better, they would think you hoard fruit and veggies or something, which is a kind of legitimate assumption.

2. You use your NutriBullet 24/7

GIF courtesy of Giphy.com

Seriously, though. I probably have a smoothie from one of these things every other day when I’m home. I put just about anything in it, even if it seems like a bizarre combo. My personal favorite is a peanut butter coconut smoothie. Here are some tips on how to make your own super-creamy smoothies at home.

3. When you’re stressed you binge-eat fruit or vegetables

GIF courtesy of Gifake.net

This is one is so true for me. You’d be surprised how filling fruits and veggies are because, in reality, they’re mostly water. I constantly eat carrots and hummus and never feel bad about it because both these foods have so many health benefits.

4. You have a solid gym schedule

GIF courtesy of Giphy.com

I know that going to the gym makes me feel better no matter what I have going on in my life. Even on the worst days, I go to the gym to clear my head. Sometimes, if I’m lucky, I get a gym crew together and we go a few times a week. If you’re a health freak like me, you probably go to the gym three to five times a week.

5. You eat kale like it’s nobody’s business

GIF courtesy of Reddit.com

There aren’t many people out there that can chew this leafy green and say that it tastes good, but if you’re a health freak, you manage to find ways to incorporate it into meals like it’s no biggie. I love kale salads with amazing homemade dressing or in a dish with kale, veggies, and fresh fish.

6. You live on PB2 and whey powder

Photo by Emily Maccabee

If you’re not familiar with these two products, you’re not a serious health freak. PB2 is like the God of healthy peanut butter. All you do is add a little powder and a little water, and BAM, all natural peanut butter that tastes better than the other stuff. Whey powder is similar but tastes delicious with milk for an instant breakfast. I use PB2 for sandwiches and with apples or bananas and I love making smoothies with whey powder, milk, almond butter, yogurt, and more.

7. If you could marry a Chop’t salad, you would

Photo by Emily Maccabee

If you’re a true health freak, you’ve tried salads just about anywhere and have been to this chain at least once. They have anything a health freak could ever want, whether you want avocado, chicken, quinoa, goat cheese, fat-free dressings, beets, and more. The only downside to this place is that the salads are usually huge, which is why I usually go for a kid’s size; it’s still perfectly satisfying and still gives me all the ingredients I crave.

8. You’ve tried every kind of hummus

Photo by Emily Maccabee

This is a no brainer. Hummus is extremely good for you, providing you with protein and a number of vitamins and minerals. Its basic ingredients include chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and tahini (sesame paste), but the varieties of hummus are seriously endless.

If you’re a health freak, you’ve tried several different kinds of hummus, including original, roasted garlic, pumpkin, lemon zest, edamame, vegetable, kale and quinoa, zesty carrot, and possibly more. My favorite hummus by far is this offbeat recipe.

9. You love going grocery shopping

GIF courtesy of BSIDEBOBBY.TUMBLR.COM

If you’re really health conscious, you’re constantly on the lookout for products that are healthy and new to you. You read the labels on everything, making sure that a product doesn’t have MSG or isn’t high in saturated fat.

10. Your friends try to change you

GIF courtesy of GEHEIMNIS1414.TUMBLR.COM

This happens to me on the daily. I always smile and decline when someone tries to shove a blondie down your throat. When that doesn’t work, they go to phase two: they make sure you know that what they’re eating is perfectly delicious in every way.

11. You look up the menu before going out

GIF courtesy of beautifulpicturesofhealthyfood.tumblr.com

I love eating out, but if my friends or family want to go to a restaurant that only has steak, I’m gonna be a little hesitant. I’ll literally eat anywhere if the menu has salad, any type of seafood, chicken, or quinoa. My favorite meal is brunch, so I always splurge and get something that’s worth it because, hey, brunch is a combination of breakfast and lunch, right? True health freaks deserve to have days off.

12. Your parents are health freaks, too

GIF courtesy of laugh-all-day-all-night.tumblr.com

If you’re a health freak, it’s basically guaranteed that it’s because of one or both of your parents. No matter how many times my mom asked for dressing on the side, to grill her fish without butter, or to substitute steamed veggies for her potatoes, I still love her, and I know that I’m the same way because of her.

Even though my mom and I may be health gurus, that doesn’t mean that we don’t eat ice cream out of the pint with spoons because everyone should indulge once in a while. Like mother, like daughter, right?

Healthy Three Ingredient Granola Bars

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour
  • Servings:6-8

• 1 1/2 cup whole dates
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (any kind)
  • 1/2 rolled/steel cut oats
Photo Courtesy of Emily Maccabee

Soak dates in warm water for 10 minutes and then drain. After, chop them into thirds.

Photo courtesy of Emily Maccabee

Add peanut butter, dates, and oats and mix in a bowl.

Photo Courtesy of Emily Maccabee

Spread out on parchment-lined 8×8 dish and press down until flat.

Photo Courtesy of Emily Maccabee

Transfer to freezer to set for 20 minutes.

Take out of freezer and slice into around 8 bars.

Courtesy of gifsboom.net

Place in large plastic bag and store bars in fridge/freezer to keep fresh.

**You can keep them in the fridge for several weeks (or a couple of months if you put them in the freezer).

Courtesy of Pbsdigitalstudios.tumblr.com