There’s absolutely nothing in this world that compares to the perfect bowl of guac. And sure, while the OG version will always have a place in my heart, sometimes that magical unexpected ingredient can elevate guac to otherworldly levels. When I say unexpected, I mean very unexpected. We’re talking fruits and cheese here, people. So step aside boring, old, uneventful guac, and make room for the future. We double dare you to take the risk, and swear on our love of avo that you won’t be disappointed.

1. Charred Corn

11 Unexpected Ingredients to Elevate Your Guac Game

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

The best guac I ever had was one with tons of texture, and charred corn adds this smoky, Southwestern-like texture that totally revolutionizes guac (I mean, look at the way it flavors this amazing Mexican corn salad). In the best way possible.

2. Parmesan

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

I once knew an Italian who put parmesan in absolutely everything, and there’s little wonder why. There’s no better flavoring mechanism than a little salt, pepper, and a heaping amount of parmesan cheese (look, we even added it to garlic dip!). The sharp, tangy nature of the cheese brings out the best in the avocado, giving you that zesty guac flavor you’ll adore.

3. Pomegranate

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Again, we’re talkin’ texture, people. Pomegranate seeds are soft on the outside, crunchy when bit into, and a great addition to any bowl of guac. Also, they’re apparently really good study aids, so if you need to get your brain moving on that paper, this is the magic key. If you have a sweet tooth, too, this addition will definitely satisfy you.

4. Sweet Potato

Photo by Rachel Conners

Why do we keep yammering about yams? This article we’ve written about how to incorporate sweet potato into every part of our day might give you a bit of a clue — they’re healthy, nutritious, and just so dang delicious.

5. Mango

Photo by Kirby Barth

Just how amazing is the mango fruit? Besides being unbelievable in this coconut sticky rice recipe, it’s also a great way to flavor your guac with something a lil’ sweet.

6. Bacon

Photo courtesy of www.blisstree.com

Mmmmm… Bacon. When it’s hot and crispy and fresh off the skillet… We’ve established there’s no better way to start your morning than with some bacon n’ eggs (like have you seen this scrambled eggs in a bacon weave bowl recipe?!?!), so why not add this unbelievable flavor in guac?

7. Hummus

Photo by Keni Lin

What, you say? A dip mixed in with another dip? Yeah, we’re getting crazy over here at Spoon. But c’mon, tell us you haven’t at least thought of trying this combo once. We’re telling you — this one’s a winner. You wanted more ways to eat hummus? We got them for you.

8. Roasted Garlic

Photo by Anna Beckerman

Garlic is always the key, but roasted garlic just takes everything to the next level (at least in our opinion, whatever that’s worth). Besides adding it into your pesto garlic pasta, you can also put it in your guac!

9. Pineapple

Photo by Sarah Silbiger

If you’ve ever liked pineapple in your pizza (and I mean, who hasn’t), you’ll like pineapple in your guac. Pop it into your panini press or grill it for a bit, and it’ll taste like all kinds of deliciousness. Plus, if it’s grilled, your mouth won’t burn any longer (seriously!).

10. Sriracha

Photo Courtesy of Nick Ut/Associated Press

We see you, you spicy little guac. If you love spice, and you can’t get to the supermarket for sriracha, why not try this homemade recipe? Cheers!

11. Basil

Photo by Marci Green

Basil is all kinds of delicious. Not only is it healthy for you, but you can grow it in your garden! And you can use your leftover basil to make this delicious tomato, mozzarella, and basil bruschetta. Win-win.

Mm mm good.