Well, we know who has replaced Panacea, Greek goddess of universal remedy: the cucumber. They’re delicious, yes, but cucumbers are so much more than just taste.  Here are ten things that the supernatural cucumber does.

1. Is there more to cucumbers than just water?

cucumber

Photo by Haliana Burhans

Cucumbers also contain Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, Folic Acid, Calcium, Vitamin C, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, and Zinc. All of these important nutrients to keep you healthy and happy.

2. Stressed?

Cut up a cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water. The chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a calming and comforting aroma.

3. Had a few too many drinks last night?

cucumber

Photo by Haliana Burhans

We’ve all been in your shoes. Cucumbers contain enough B vitamins, electrolytes, and sugar to replenish essential nutrients that alcohol absorbs from your body. Say goodbye to morning hangovers after eating a cucumber before you go to sleep.

4. Need a pick-me-up after a long nap?

Stay away from coffee and other caffeinated drinks and eat a cucumber instead. Cucumbers are chock-full of B vitamins and carbohydrates that can provide just the energy you need.

5. Want to give your bathroom a quick and easy clean?

All you need is a slice of a cucumber to get rid of any tarnish or built-up residue. Take the slice and wipe it on any surface that needs some extra care.

6. Writing that dreaded essay with a pen and made a mistake?

cucumber

Photo by Haliana Burhans

Have no fear, the cucumber is here. Take the peel and slowly erase away the pen writing. You’ll have a clean page in no time.

7. Struggling to stay hydrated during the day?

Try snacking on some cucumbers. They are made up of 95% water and will help quench your thirst.

8. Hate how your bathroom mirror fogs up after a shower?

Rub a cucumber slice along the mirror. It will eliminate the steam and provide a relaxing, spa-like fragrance.

9. Forgot a pack of gum on your first date?

cucumber

Photo by Haliana Burhans

Ask your waiter (or come prepared) for (with) some sliced cucumbers. Take a slice and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds. The phytochemicals in the cucumber will kill the bacteria responsible for bad breath.

10. Ever hear the term “cool as a cucumber”?

cucumber

Photo by Haliana Burhans

The saying comes from the cucumber’s ability to cool the temperature of the blood. When applied to your skin, the cucumber cools blood and eases facial swelling which is why cucumbers are so popular in facial regimens.

Never take a cucumber for granted again. I mean seriously, look at everything it’s good for. Try these ten uses and get the most out of your vegetables.

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

cucumber

Design by Shanshan Mei

Love cucumbers? Check out: