Deck the halls with boughs of holly, it’s that time of year again. Santa is on his way and will be sliding down your chimney any minute expecting to arrive to a plate of cookies with a side of milk; however, this year you don’t have to make deserts drenched in butter and covered with sugar. It’s a Christmas miracle.

You can make desserts that are both good for your health and will please your tastebuds. You won’t have to substitute taste for health with these following recipes and they are sure to please the man in red.

1. Salted Caramel Date Truffles

holiday

Photo by Katherine Baker

Finally a world where we can make salted caramels that are good for us. Brb, I’ll be in the kitchen making (and eating) these for the rest of the holiday season. If you just scrolled past this picture and didn’t salivate, then you are lying to yourself.

2. Vegan Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

holiday

Photo by Santina Renzi

What’s Christmas without the classic chocolate crinkle cookie, am I right? Don’t be afraid of the title “vegan” because let me tell you, these cookies taste exactly like the real deal.

3. Chocolate Chip Cookies

holiday

Photo by Natalie Beam

A classic that Santa is sure to love and so will you. With a spin on the traditional eggs, flour, sugar, and chocolate chips, this recipe calls for vegan and gluten free products. But don’t worry, taste is not compromised here.

4. Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies

holiday

Photo by Katherine Baker

Whoa, hold the phone. You’re telling me these cookies are made with avocado? Santa may just want to throw a fiesta after biting into one of these chewy vegan chocolate cookies made by the gods.

5. Peanut Butter Cookies (with a twist)

holiday

Photo by Danny Schuleman

Flourless and a half a teaspoon of espresso powder, these are not your average peanut butter cookies. They are so much more. Calling for honey and whatever mix-ins you would like, this take on the classic pb cookie is out of this world. If you’re looking for a healthier option, try mixing in walnuts or dry roasted peanuts.

6. Hot Chocolate Cookies

holiday

Photo courtesy of chocolatecovderedkatie.com

Hot chocolate? In a cookie? Made with chocolate and dates, these cookies are sure to mimic a cup of smooth hot chocolate.

7. Gingerbread Men

holiday

Photo courtesy of mynewroots.org

It’s not the holidays without gingerbread men, but many recipes can pack on excess sugar. This recipe calls for coconut sugar, applesauce, and blackstrap molasses to add sweetness and it even comes with a recipe for cashew-cacao butter icing to use for decoration.

8.  Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms 

holiday

Photo courtesy of rachlmansfield.com

Lactose intolerant and gluten free but love the classic peanut butter blossom? I’ve found the recipe for you. These cookies are to die for and are super easy to make. Peanut butter and chocolate were made for each other, and now you can enjoy their holy matrimony while still being (somewhat) healthy.

9. Homemade Chocolate Bark

holiday

Photo by Keni Lin

Throw a little crushed up candy cane on top and you’ve got yourself a Christmas treat. This recipe reinvents the traditional bark, but taste is not compromised. This bark will definitely be the highlight of Santa’s Christmas.

10. Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Donuts

holiday

Photo by Alex Furuya

Step aside Krispy Kreme, these donuts will have your mouth watering and won’t load you up with unneeded added sugars and fats. A lighter taste on the traditional donut, these babies are sure to please the tastebuds

So this year when you go to whip up a batch of peanut butter Hershey’s kiss cookies or double chocolate chunk peppermint brownies, think about what you’re putting in your body. Skip the unneeded sugar and excess butter and opt for one of these recipes instead. They won’t disappoint.