One of the best parts of Thanksgiving, and probably the one we’re most excited about, is pigging out on comfort foods.

Here’s a list of 10 that will knock your festive socks off.

1. Doughnuts

Seriously, who doesn’t love doughnuts? Some of the best Chicago has to offer can be found in a shop so small, it’s practically a hole in the wall. Don’t let that fool you, though. The Doughnut Vault’s daily selection of fresh artisan doughnuts may have you in a food coma before you make it through this list. Better go early though, because these doughnuts are so good, they typically sell out by 11 a.m.

comfort foods

Photo by Jessica Kane

cheap

Address: 401 N Franklin St, Chicago

Hours: Tues-Fri 8:30am-11:30am, Sat 9:30am-11:30am

2. Pancakes

Whether they are covered in syrup, butter or jam, warm, fluffy pancakes make a great breakfast splurge. There’s no better place to grab a stack than Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe in downtown Chicago. With varieties like Fig and Walnut, Berry Bliss and Tiramisu, it’s not hard to see why.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe

average

Address: 130 E. Randolph St. Chicago

Hours: Daily 6:30am-2:30pm

3. French Fries

Anytime can be french fry time. If you spot the Fat Shallot truck (featured during Taste of Chicago 2013) around downtown, drop everything but your wallet and hop in line. Their fresh homemade fries come with toppings like rosemary salt, truffle aioli and caramelized shallots, putting a tasty gourmet spin on the fried classic.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of Fat Shallot

average

Address: Varies. Check the website for location updates!

Hours: Again, varies. Check the website!

4. Bacon

These days, it seems like the bacon food trend is everywhere. But, there’s nowhere it’s better at than at Paddy Long’s, which has some of the best bacon offerings around, with international bacon plates and bacon wrapped sausage ‘grenades’. If your bacon craving is especially strong, try the “bomb,” a homemade bacon sausage wrapped in a brown sugar bacon weave and roasted to perfection.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of Paddy Long’s Beer and Bacon Pub

average

Address: 1028 W Diversey Pkwy, Chicago

Hours: Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:00am, Sat 11:00am-3:00am, Sun 11:00am-2:00am

5. Deep Dish Pizza

What kind of Chicago pig out list would be complete without a big honkin’ slice of Chicago style pizza? I assume you already know the big names like Pizzeria Uno and Lou Malnati’s, but when Saveur published an issue filled with only the best Chicago eats, they didn’t put either of those two on the front cover. Burt’s Place was instead chosen as the face of Chicago deep dish. Run exclusively by a husband and wife team, Burt’s Place churns out deep dish made from only the freshest and highest quality ingredients.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of chicago.seriouseats.com

average

Address: 8541 Ferris Ave, Morton Grove

Hours: Wed-Thurs 4:30pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 4:30pm-10:00pm, Sun 4:30pm-9:00pm

6. Mac & Cheese

This ooey gooey classic always manages to conjure warm childhood memories, while simultaneously clogging every artery in your body. The calories are worth it though when you grab a bowl from Old Town Social. It pushes things to a whole new level by adding smoked brisket or pork belly to a cheesy mix flavored with pungent Stilton cheese.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of soapbox.restaurantintelligency.com

average

Address: 455 W North Ave, Chicago

Hours: Mon-Thurs 5:00pm-2:00am, Fri 4:00pm-2:00am, Sat 11:00am-3:00am, Sun 11:00am-2:00am

7. Cupcakes

Gourmet cupcakes are a far cry from the ones offered in dining halls. They are carefully crafted desserts that push the limits of how much flavor can be packed into such a small package. The Chicago Cupcake truck, featured by Taste of Chicago 2013, showcases some of the most delicious varieties available. They are even offering a Thanksgiving pack for delivery with pumpkin latte, taffy apple, pecan pie and pumpkin pie flavors.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of Chicago Cupcake

cheap

Address: Varies. Check the website for location updates!

8. Gelato

It may seem a bit too cold for gelato now that frozen treats won’t even melt outside, but this rich and creamy dessert is worth having any day of the year. Head over to Caffé Gelato for the best in Chicago, according to Serious Eats. Its gelato is made fresh daily with fresh seasonal fruit and imported Italian spices and chocolate.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of Caffé Gelato

cheap

Address: 2034 W Division St, Chicago

Hours: Sun-Thurs 10:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-11:00pm

9. Cheesecake

Rich, tangy, sweet and indulgent, great cheesecake is often a crowd pleaser. Nothing delivers the knockout punch of a food coma quite like a this ultra dense treat. While it may be temping to grab a slice from the Cheesecake Factory, try Bittersweet instead. It is a small pastry shop just off the Red Line that delivers the best cheesecake and pastries in Chicago according to Chicago Magazine.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of foodspotting.com

average

Address: 1114 W Belmont Ave #8, Chicago

Hours: Mon-Fri 7:00am-7:00pm, Sat 8:00am-7:00am, Sun 8:00am-6:00pm

10. Hot Chocolate

Hot chocolate is always a favorite around the holidays to beat the Chicago winter chill, and there are many places that serve the sweet drink. True chocoholics know that the Ghirardelli store in downtown Chicago serves some of the best around. Its hot chocolate is packed with so much creamy Ghirardelli, that it almost solidifies when it cools.

comfort foods

Photo courtesy of ghirardelli.com

cheap

Address: 830 N Michigan Ave #1, Chicago

Hours: Mon-Thurs 10:00am-10:30pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-11:30pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm