Living with a lot of people in one house can be a hassle, especially when you have to decide how to divide the fridge space—or find the culprit who ate your favorite hummus.

The best way to deal with this problem is to get a mini fridge for your room. Don’t make excuses like “your room is too small” or “you have a roommate who might eat everything.” Instead, think about how convenient it will be not to have to go to the kitchen to grab that ice cold…bottle of water.

Fridge

Photo by Smita Jain

A mini fridge not only stores food inside, but you can also place food on top of it. It is easy to just stack popcorn, cereal and pasta boxes together or place your bananas and other fruits and vegetables on top, making them more accessible for your cravings.

Fridge

Photo by Smita Jain

Now, the biggest problem you’ll face is being the only one in charge of  remembering when your food will go bad, but all you have to do is get a white board and write the expiration dates on it before you place any food in the fridge.

Fridge

Photo by Smita Jain

Usually, a mini fridge dial ranges from 1-7, 1 being the coldest setting, and 7 being the warmest. I set the control to number 3 or 4, as this tends to keep my food fresh. A friendly reminder: do not underestimate the power of a mini fridge. If you put your hand in the fridge, and you don’t think it’s cold enough, you’re probably wrong.

Trust me.

Once, I had food that looked like it had taken a trip to Antarctica overnight. Rookie mistake.

More good stuff here: