Do you ever read the word “homemade” in the title of a recipe and immediately stop there? I have a homemade waffle recipe that is genuinely simple . It only requires 7 ingredients, and assuming you’ve baked before, the only ingredient not sitting in your pantry is buttermilk. These waffles are fluffy on the inside and delicately crunchy on the outside.

You know what else is great about waffles? You can combine them with any filling or topping you want, so they are perfect for entertaining lots of people with a variety of tastes (boozy brunch idea?). Some of my personal favorite toppings are Nutella, ice cream, fried chicken, whipped cream, jam, etc. Bacon bits, pecans and berries are also great to mix into the batter and cook straight into the waffle.

Easy

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes/waffle
Total time: 18 minutes

Servings: 10 waffles

1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cups oil
2 eggs

Photo Courtesy of Nude Nicotine

Photo Courtesy of Nude Nicotine

1. Combine the first four ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

2. Mix the buttermilk and oil in a separate bowl.

This is where waffle recipes sometimes scare people, but do not be intimidated!

3. You need to separate 2 egg yolks from the whites – if you don’t know how to separate yolks, try this. Once you have separated the eggs, mix the yolks into the wet ingredients bowl.

4. Beat the remaining whites until stiff peaks form.

5. After all the wet and dry ingredients have been prepared, combine them in a single bowl.

6. Fold the egg whites gently into the rest of the batter.

I know beating the egg whites seems like an unnecessary step, but they ensure ultimate waffle crispiness and it’s definitely worth the extra 90 seconds.

Grease the waffle iron, and you’re ready to go!

Hungry for more? Check out these articles:
7 Reasons Why Brunch is the Best Meal
Review: Oak Tree
Review: m. henry