It can be really difficult to survive a holiday that restricts you from eating your favorite foods, in this case, basically every deliciously carb-loaded food. This day-by-day guide will ensure that you don't feel alone and can survive passover at Stony Brook. 

Day 1:

vegetable, dairy product, cheese, bread
Malia Budd

Day one began at sunset on Monday, so it just consisted of dinner. I basically just made a matzo sandwich with cheese—lowkey sadly wishing I could be eating some pasta instead. 

Day 2:

cake, chocolate
Sadie Vitkus

I got sick this day, and I had a Bio midterm, so I mostly lived on chocolate matzo and vanilla yogurt for the entire day. It was surprisingly satisfying. I would honestly snack on chocolate matzos from time to time even when it's not passover. A smoothie from Jamba Juice was also on my menu and was a great way to get some vitamins into my system.

Day 3:

legume, broccoli, cabbage, vegetable

My passover diet, since I wasn't eating kitiniyot, which consists of rice, corn, millet, and legumes, was very heavily based on fruits and vegetables. Breakfast was greek yogurt with a clementine and a pear, and a cheese stick, which is my usual breakfast anyway. Lunch was a salad from West Side Dining, with grilled chicken. For dinner this night, it was Taiwanese night and I got fish ball soup and bubble tea, as well as some ice cream!

Day 4:

butter, dairy product, croque madame, toast, bread, egg yolk, fried egg, egg
Hannah Freiberg

This was the day that I discovered you can make avocado toast using matzo. Avocado, salt, pepper, and cheese or an egg make for a hearty breakfast or snack. I also got a salad from the SAC for lunch with grilled chicken and snacked on chips because this was the day of our Spoon University info session. Dinner was mashed potatoes and salmon.

Day 5:

lettuce
Grace Toups

This day was exciting because there was a free barbecue. However, cheeseburgers and hotdogs are definitely not kosher for passover, so I opted for a veggie burger and wrapped it in lettuce. I could even have it with cheese because there was no meat in it! I also went to Starbucks and got myself the Purple Drink. 

Day 6:

tofu, sweet
Wallis Linker

On this day, I continued with my regular breakfast of yogurt and fruits, snacked on lots of Hershey's chocolate, and ate tofu with vegetables, such as sweet potatoes and broccoli. 

Day 7

wasabi, meat, tuna, rice, seafood, fish, sashimi, salmon, sushi

I'm basically a sushi addict, so at this point I couldn't take it anymore and had to satisfy my craving. I had a spicy tuna avocado roll made with quinoa instead of rice for lunch. I also had tomato soup for dinner, along with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts.

Day 8

cheese, turkey, avocado, chicken, sandwich
Katie Davidson

This was the last day of passover! At sundown, I could finally eat my beloved Kelly Deli and cereal. I had fruits to get through the day and ended Passover with mac and cheese.

Although passover seems like a rough time, it's worth it to celebrate a holiday which helps us remember our past. If cutting out most carbs and eating a lot of chocolate is the way to do it, and still feel good about being religious, I think it's a win-win situation and feeling like someone is doing it with you and supporting you will help you survive passover at Stony Brook.