Although its odd shape and tough-looking skin might make tackling your first avocado seem like a daunting task, there are just a few quick steps to feeling confident in taking a knife to it.

1. Slice the avocado lengthwise, cutting just around the pit.

How to Cut an Avocado

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

2. Hold each half in one hand and slowly twist in opposite directions until the two sides easily pull apart.

How to Cut an Avocado

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

3. Remove the pit by carefully but firmly tapping the blade of your knife into the pit. When the knife is firmly wedged, hold the avocado in one hand and the knife handle in the other. Twist the pit by rotating the knife until the pit comes loose from the flesh.

How to Cut an Avocado

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

4. Place the avocado halves skin-side-up on a cutting board and slice into wedges.

How to Cut an Avocado

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

5. Peel the skin away from the flesh of each wedge.

How to Cut an Avocado

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

While avocado slices are perfect for sandwiches, cubing an avocado is a better method for salad preparation. The first three steps are the same as those used in slicing, and then it’s as simple as turning the skin inside out.

1. Repeat steps 1 through 3 as above.

How to Cut an Avocado

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

2. Slice through the flesh, but not through the skin, in a grid pattern. Adjust how many cuts you make in each direction, depending on what size you want your pieces to be.

How to Cut an Avocado

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki

3. Flip the skin inside out into a bowl. The pieces should fall right off the skin. Remove any straggling pieces with a small knife.

How to Cut an Avocado

Photo by Arisa Toyosaki