Portillo’s is one of those places that you should go at least 100 times in your lifetime. Some people absolutely love their Chicago-style hot dogs. Others swear by their Italian Beef or burgers. I’ve gotten their Chocolate Cake Shake more times than I can count. But one of the things I hate is dealing with the post-meal food guilt.

While Portillo’s signature items may seem like their unhealthy, there are ways to cut calories while still being able to eat some of your favorite foods. If you’re looking for ways to avoid extra weight gain, here are some ways you can be a bit healthier during your next Portillo’s trip.

#SpoonTip: Portillo’s has never released an official calorie count for their menu items, so these figures are based on third party information.

Small Everything

portillo's

Photo courtesy of Portillo’s on Facebook

Whether you’re getting one of their mouthwatering char-broiled burgers, chicken sandwiches, or addicting fries, make sure you get the smallest size for everything. The portions here are enormous and you’ll be filled right up, no matter what you get.

I know it’s tempting to get a double bacon cheeseburger with large fries, but I promise that the normal size for both is more than enough.

No More Wet Bread

portillo's

Photo by Sara Mickow

If you’re not getting a hot dog, you’re getting their Italian Beef. As an amateur Portillo’s goer, you might just order a normal Italian Beef or even opt to get it dipped. But if you’re looking for the healthiest option, you might want to get your sandwich dry, or with very little gravy.

As much as I love having my sandwich dipped in beef gravy, it’s not worth the extra calories. Plus, the sandwich comes out soggy anyway, and soggy bread is just… ick!

Don’t Forget The “Secret” Menu

portillo's

Photo courtesy of @portilloshotdogs on Instagram

This one should be pretty obvious, but it still deserves a mention. One of the most forgotten parts of a fast food restaurant menu is the salad section, and it’s no different with Portillo’s. Did you know that Portillo’s has a ton of salads on their menu? It’s true.

Salads might not be the first thing on your mind when you walk this fast food restaurant, but you might just change your mind after tasting their signature chopped salad. I know I sure did. Still not convinced? Although Portillo’s hasn’t come out with the official calorie count, according to MyFitnessPal, it’s only about 393 calories.