It seems like mashed avocado on toast isn’t enough these days. People have been stepping up their game with avocado roses. In a few simple tricks, you can turn an avocado half into a beautiful budding flower. All you need is a knife to work the magic. Whether you sprinkle it with parsley or layer it with smoked salmon – it goes to show that you really do eat with your eyes. Make it Instagramworthy in just a few simple steps.

avocado rose

Photo courtesy of @carly_liao on Instagram

Here’s a step-by-step tutorial:

1. Using a ripe avocado is key

avocado rose

Photo by Katie Harman

To tell if an avocado is ripe, first check the stem. If it comes out easily, that’s a good indicator that it’s ready to be eaten. Also, squeeze the avocado and it should give a little to your touch. And when in doubt, appearance is everything. If it looks visually appealing, you’re good to go.

2. Half the avocado and peel off skin

avocado rose

Photo by Katie Harman

Halve the avocado and then peel and remove the pit. Make sure to place it flat-side down when slicing. Try to pick a slightly firmer avocado since it will be much easier to form your rose in the end because you don’t want a mushy mess.

4. Slice avocado very thinly

avocado rose

Photo by Katie Harman

Slice pieces super thin so that you will have more to work with when shaping your rose. Make sure to cut it all the way through as you make your way through the entire avocado.

avocado rose

Photo by Katie Harman

4. Fan the pieces out and begin to curl

avocado rose

Photo by Katie Harman

Fan them out so that they create a structured line with the slices overlapping each other. Pick one end of the avocado and push the end pieces to the center so that the rose will begin to form. If you need to remove a slice or two to get the desired shape, feel free to do so.

avocado rose

Photo by Katie Harman

5. Finish, decorate and enjoy

avocado rose

Photo by Katie Harman

When your rose has finally taken shape, you’re officially done! Now add those finishing touches. Sea salt or red pepper flakes are a personal favorite.

Now go forth and impress all your friends. Your brunch posts will never be the same. You’re welcome.

The final product

avocado rose

Photo by Katie Harman

For other awesome avocado rose tutorials, click here and here.

avocado rose

Graphic by Spoon University