Looking to shake up your morning bagel and plain cream cheese routine? Here are five great ways to make your breakfast a little more exciting. You can use these as inspiration, and don’t be afraid to play around with combinations!  For those with dietary restrictions, low-fat or tofu cream cheese can just as easily be substituted for regular.

Berry Blast

How to Make Flavored Cream Cheese

Photo by Heather Harris

This cream cheese brings out the fresh flavors of the warmer weather.  Because berries have the tendency to be a little tart, adding some honey will really help bring out their inherent sweetness. To make this cream cheese, chop 1/4 cup of berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc) into very fine pieces and mix them with the cream cheese and a teaspoon of honey.

Green Tea

How to Make Flavored Cream Cheese

Photo by Heather Harris

One of the best things to come out of Japan (aside from Pokemon) is matcha tea. Matcha is a bitter, earthy green tea powder that when combined with a little something sweet, like honey, your taste buds will be  surprised, but definitely happy. Mix 1 tablespoon of matcha powder and 2 tablespoons of honey into your cream cheese to create this tasty spread.

Bacon Scallion

How to Make Flavored Cream Cheese

Photo by Heather Harris

The best combination on a bagel is scallion cream cheese with bacon, but incorporating the bacon and scallion into the cream cheese will ensure your bacon doesn’t fall off! Cut up a strip or two of cooked bacon into tiny pieces and mix into the cream cheese so you get a porky morsel in every bite. Don’t forgot to add two tablespoons of chopped scallion.

Almost Guacamole

How to Make Flavored Cream Cheese

Photo by Heather Harris

Take half of one avocado paired with the juice of half a lime, a tablespoon of chopped or ripped cilantro and sea salt to taste, and you can make an unexpectedly delicious cream cheese.  If you want to make this even more like guacamole, add tomato and red onion.

Nutella

How to Make Flavored Cream Cheese

Photo by Heather Harris

Everyone’s favorite chocolate and hazelnut spread (Nutella) goes great with the tanginess of cream cheese. Only use two tablespoons of Nutella or another similar flavor. This ensures you don’t start your morning with a massive sugar rush.  1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped up and toasted hazelnuts add a crunch and an even better toasty flavor.  If your hazelnuts aren’t already toasted, spread them on a baking sheet and pop in the oven at 350˚F for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Rub off the skins of the hazelnuts in a dish towel, chop, and add to the spread. Enjoy!