Although yogurt, particularly greek yogurt, has become increasingly popular in the United States over the past few years due to its incredible health benefits, countries around the world have been using yogurt for centuries. No matter where you are in the world, you will find dishes centered around yogurt.

Middle East

Photo courtesy of Soma Rathore

Shrikhand is a yogurt-based dessert. With just strained yogurt, honey, cardamom, nutmeg, raisins, and chopped nuts, this dessert is a simple palate cleanser. You can add pistachios and saffron for a stronger taste.

Mast Va Khiar is a yogurt-cucumber dip that is commonly served in Iran. The dip is extremely easy to make and goes well with almost anything, including rice and meat.

Labneh, also know as “yogurt cheese,” is spread that can be easily flavored. Some people add veggies to flavor, or just spread it on plain, either way, it makes a great addition to any sandwich.

South Asia

Photo courtesy of coyo_is_coconuts on Instagram

Lassi is a traditional yogurt drink from India and Pakistan. Lassis are chilled beverages that can be flavored with natural juices as sweeteners or can be flavored with spices.

Mishti Doi is a homemade Indian dessert made by fermenting milk into a thick yogurt. It is made with milk and sugar.

Dadiah is fermented buffalo milk that is common in Indonesia. It is traditionally served in a bamboo cup and topped with a banana leaf.

Photo by Lexi Godfrey

French Yogurt Cake is a simple cake that only consists of yogurt, eggs, butter, sugar, vegetable oil, and flour.

Tzatziki is a common Greek dish that resembles Mast Van Khiar. It is a mixture of yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, dill, and olive oil. This makes for a great dipping sauce or a spread.

Filmjölk is the Swedish take on yogurt. It is made from soured dairy and created at a lower temperature and, therefore, possesses a slightly different taste and texture than traditional yogurt. This is very similar to Kefir.

Photo courtesy of organic_kefiir on Instagram

Amasi is a very common fermented milk in Africa, specifically South Africa. Amasi tastes very similar to cottage cheese and is usually consumed plain or by pouring over porridge. It is traditionally served in a clay pot.

Senegalese soup with yogurt is a creamy soup that traditionally incorporates yogurt and milk with a dollop of yogurt.

The Americas

Photo by Katie Zizmor

Frozen yogurt, or fro-yo, is gaining popularity in both South and North America as an easy, fun, and more nutritious alternative to ice cream.

Pão de Queijo is a common snack or breakfast addition in Brazil. It is also known as Brazilian Cheese Puffs and is typically made of cheese and yogurt.