You feel proud of yourself as you sit down in front of a plate of leafy greens, turning your back on the fat-laden pizza and burger options. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it. You reach over and grab a bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch Light. All is well, right? WRONG. Hidden Valley Ranch Light is one of the many salad dressings on the market that lead you to believe it is healthy by labeling it “light.” In fact, it is replete with sugars and sodium rather than fats. Even fellow store-bought vinaigrettes are guilty of this.

So, why trust those store-bought brands when you can do it yourself?

Here is your vinaigrette toolbox. Whip it out at home or in your dining hall (all of these ingredients should be available). The basic rule for homemade vinaigrettes is 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. From there, “dress” it up however you like (hehe).

Basic Steps To Create Your Own Dressing

1. Choose an oil

Photo by Katie Walsh

The most common choice is extra virgin olive oil. Note: with EVOO, quality is key.

2. Choose a vinegar or citrus

Photo by Katie Walsh

This will add the necessary acidity. Common choices are flavored vinegars such as balsamic, white wine or lemon. Or, mix it up with a splash of orange juice.

3. Choose a creamy base

Photo by Katie Walsh

Photo by Katie Walsh

Mustard, yogurt (plain Greek works best), mashed avocado and nut butter are just a few examples.

4. Choose a sweetener (optional)

Often times, honey adds a nice sweetness while acting as an emulsifier, binding the oil and vinegar that separate after mixing.

5. Season it!

Simply add some salt and pepper or get inventive with onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, dill or whatever you have laying around.

Too lazy to create your own? It’s all good. Here are some easy recipes you can follow.

Note: 1 teaspoon = 1 regular spoon full.

Honey Mustard Vinaigrette

Easy

Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 1 minute

Servings: 1

3 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon mustard
½ teaspoon honey
Pinch of salt and pepper

1. Mix all ingredients vigorously
2. Pour over salad and enjoy.

Photo by Katie Walsh

Hummus Vinaigrette:

Easy

Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 1 minute

Servings: 1

3 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 heaping teaspoon hummus
½ teaspoon Worcestirshire sauce
Pinch of salt and pepper

1. Mix all ingredients vigorously in a bowl.
2. Serve and enjoy.

Photo by Katie Walsh

Now, back to you and your leafy greens. You top your spring mix with a homemade vinaigrette. Now, go ahead and pat yourself on the back.