It’s time to get on the chia seed train. These teeny tiny health food wonders have been around since the Aztecs, Mayans and Incas used to eat them as a source of prolonged energy for messengers, so that they could run all day. The word chia means “strength” in the language of the Mayans. Feel free to do the normal thing and sprinkle these seeds on yogurt or in your smoothie, but if you want to take your experience to the next level I’ve got a surprise for you. How does a nutrient-packed pudding cup sound? Too good to be true right? Wrong. Here is a super simple recipe for chia seed pudding.

Easy

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: about 2 hours or overnight if you choose

Servings: 2

1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup vanilla/chocolate coconut milk or almond milk

1. Measure 1/4 cup of chia seeds into a bowl, cup, or any container of your choice. My favorite brand of chia seeds is Spectrum, and there is a great deal on Spectrum chia seeds on Amazon right now.
2. Pour 1/2 cup of coconut or almond milk onto the seeds.

chiaandmilk

3. Stir the ingredients together.
4. Place the container in the fridge for at least 2 hours. If I am going to eat the chia pudding for breakfast, then I like to make it before bed and leave it in the fridge till I can enjoy it in the morning. 

Chia_Seed_Pudding1

4. You can also add chopped bananas, walnuts, slivered almonds, cinnamon, dried fruit, or your favorite mix ins to the pudding!

Top 7 health benefits of chia seeds:

1. Aid in weight loss by reducing food cravings. How? Chia seeds prevent some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper!
2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water! Thats actually how the chia seeds and milk form the pudding.
3. Excellent hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the “chia gel” can hydrate the body and allow you to work out longer.
4. Reduce your blood pressure: There’s evidence to suggest that they can reduce blood pressure, and while this may not be a college-aged problem, why not prevent it for the future?
5. Rich in Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon. Hello glowing skin!
6. Preventive benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
7. They are similar to flaxseed benefits, but are much easier on your body to digest, and don’t need to be ground up.