Sleep is incredibly important for you and your health, but, for some reason, you didn’t sleep last night. You were up finishing your essay due in the morning, studying for your midterm the next day, or simply could not fall asleep. The possibilities are endless.

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

It is not surprising that the National Institutes of Health report that college students are one of the most sleep-deprived populations. Of course, we all know sleep is important, but sometimes we do not have enough time in the day to do what need to get done. Thankfully, New York Magazine has done a video to help you get through your post-all-nighter haze the next day.

#SpoonTip: The subject in the video is the Tooth Fairy!

Don’t hit the snooze button

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

Although this seems counterintuitive, scientists say that those extra five minutes don’t make you more rested. The few minutes of extra sleep feel good, but the feeling is fleeting.

Eat breakfast

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and studies suggest that eating within one hour of waking up boosts your mood and cognition. But, you should NOT have any sugar for breakfast (sorry, Lucky Charms). Even though you’ll get a surge of energy, you will crash later.

You should have a breakfast filled with whole grains and protein, like eggs and whole wheat toast. If you’re a coffee drinker, then only have one cup of coffee. Don’t overload on your daily recommended caffeine intake too early.

Get outside

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

Bright, natural light will raise your body temperature and boosts your alertness. However, don’t wear sunglasses; scientists say that even sun in your eyes can be helpful.

Do your hardest work first

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

The first few hours after you get to school are the most alert you will be all day, so you should do your hardest work first. Also, have another cup of coffee when you get there. Caffeine kicks in after about 30 minutes and you need that little boost to pay attention during your lecture.

Have a light lunch

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

You’re halfway through the day and you’re feeling good. To keep this going, have a light lunch filled with grains, veggies, and lean protein. Heavy, sugary lunches will make you crash later.

Enjoy your last cup

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

Have your third and last cup of coffee in the early afternoon, which is when you are the most drowsy today. But, do NOT drink coffee after 3 pm as caffeine lasts about seven hours in your system and you do not want to be up all night again.

Do simple tasks

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

For the rest of the day, do simple busy work. Research suggests that sleep-deprived people can only focus for about 10 minutes at a time. So chill out, just reply to emails, sort files.

Get out early

all-nighter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

If you can, try to get out of class early so you can get some rest.

So, you’ve successfully made it through the day! Now, get a good night’s sleep because you deserve it, champ.