Ketchup clogged? Cork floating in your wine? Need a quick and painless way to put cherries? All these problems can be solved with the simplest of culinary instruments: the drinking straw.

These hacks prove that straws are good for more than making annoying noises when you get to the bottom of your drink or blowing bubbles in your chocolate milk. Just follow the steps below and cease a bunch of your kitchen headaches.

Pit Cherries

1 cherries 2

Remove the stem and stick the straw into the top of the cherry. Wriggle it around to loosen the pit. Then push the straw through the other side of the cherry to dislodge the pit.

Unclog Ketchup

2 ketchup

If your ketchup bottle is almost empty and you’re having difficulty shaking it loose, stick a straw into the bottle and wriggle it around the bottom. This will break up the ketchup from the sides and make it pour super easily.

Vacuum Seal

3 bag

To make food in a ziplock bag last longer, it’s best to drain as much air as possible. Stick a straw into the top of the bag, seal the bag up to the straw, and suck the air out. Once that’s done, quickly remove the straw and seal the bag. Timing is crucial.

Remove Cork Floaters

4 cork

Nothing ruins a bottle of wine like pieces of cork floating on the surface. To remove them, place a straw into the bottle over the floating cork pieces, place a finger on top of the straw to create a vacuum, and lift out the straw. The vacuum will carry the cork out of the bottle.

Condiment Carrier

5 salt:pepper 2

Straws make for a great way to carry spices, like salt and pepper, without taking up much space. Cut the straw into smaller lengths, close off one end with tape, will the straw with desired spice, and seal the other end. On-the-go flavor has never been so easy or cheap.

Powdered Drink Carrier

6 lemonade mix

The spice technique also works with powdered drinks. Just pour the powder into water and stir the draw.