Getting off the couch can be tough. Heck, even getting out of bed is tough. Although you know the benefits of exercise, it's a different story when you have to bring yourself to the gym and attempt to surrender your body to 30+ minutes of hell. I mean, exercise.

Runners tell us it's like breathing, swimmers say the pool is their ocean, and yoga instructors claim they can't live without it. Exercise comes in different forms and can be fun at times, but can it really be made into a habit? 

The answer is yes.

alcohol, liquor, wine, stout, beer
Stephanie Zajac

While exercise may seem like a hassle or a pain in the moment, the long-term benefits outweigh the temporary sacrifices. Regular exercise promotes overall well-being, improves mood and cognitive function, leads to better sleep behavior, and for all the struggling ladies out there, it eliminates a lot of unfavorable symptoms from your menstrual cycle. 

So how do you do it?

cake, gem, tea, beer, wine
Stephanie Zajac

This brings me to the ideal workout mindset: Maintain a healthy workout regimen, and rely on motivation when your habit begins to slip away. You can think of it like this. Motivation is what gets you going. It keeps your energy up, helps you put your game face on and forces you to tackle whatever challenge comes your way.

Habit is when you’ve built up your motivation to a point that allows you to comfortably want to go to the gym. It’s no longer a struggle once it becomes a habit. 

That's it?!

wine
Stephanie Zajac

Not too fast, though. Just because you’ve formed a habit doesn’t mean it’s time to throw all motivation out the window. We still need both of these workout buddies in order to sustain a healthy lifestyle.

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself at first. Developing a regular routine is tough. Start with baby steps, always keep up the positivity, and use motivation and habit to help you reach your personal goals.