It’s finally time for boots and sweaters, pumpkin specials, crunchy leaves, and (drumroll please) apple season. Glory to the apple, man. Apple pie, apple cider, apple crisp, applesauce, cinnamon apple honey butter, and best of all, apple cider donuts.

Last year, I had my first apple cider donut. It was monumental. Life-changing. Cherubs floated down from the heavens as golden rays of light pierced the sky and Josh Groban’s angelic voice filled the air.

With this recipe, you can experience the magic of apple cider donuts anytime without ever having to leave home. The best part is they’re baked, not fried — which means they’re easy to make, require less clean up, and are free of all the undesirable fat that comes with deep frying. So basically they’re healthy, right? Right.

Now scroll down and get crackin’. The secret to a lifetime of warm, fluffy, cinnamon-sugar coated happiness is just ahead.

Apple Cider Donut Bites

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:7-10 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes
  • Servings:20 donut holes

• 3 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 2 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Photo by Christian Stafford

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Combine melted butter, apple cider, sugar, egg, and honey; whisk until smooth.

Photo by Christian Stafford

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

Photo by Christian Stafford

Pour the apple cider mixture over the flour mixture and stir to combine.

#SpoonTip: Be careful not to over mix as this will result in a dense, not fluffy, donut. A few lumps are fine, just make sure no white flour remains.

photo by christian stafford

Pour the batter into a gallon size ziplock bag. Cut one of the bottom corners off the bag and squeeze the batter into a greased mini muffin or donut hole pan.

#SpoonTip: If you’re feeling ballsy, just pour the batter directly from the bowl into the pan, but beware — this can get messy.

photo by Christian Stafford

Pop ’em in the oven for 7-10 minutes.

#SpoonTip: Check on them at 7 minutes, if they’re not starting to turn golden brown around the edges, leave them in for another minute or so.

Photo by Christian Stafford

Once you’ve taken the pan out of the oven, wait 1 minute before flipping the pan and shaking the donuts out onto a paper towel to cool.

Photo by Christian Stafford

Cinnamon Sugar Coating

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:5 minutes
  • Servings:20 cinnamon sugar coated donuts

• 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoon apple cider

Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.

Photo by Christian Stafford

Prepare a butter bath by mixing the melted butter and apple cider in a cup or bowl.

One by one, dip each donut in the butter bath and roll them around in the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Enjoy!

#SpoonTip: If you have the patience and will power to save some for later, store the donuts in a covered container. When you are ready, just zap them in the microwave for a few seconds to achieve that freshly baked taste and texture.

Photo by Christian Stafford