“Cause if you liked it, then you should have put an egg on it.” I mean, let’s be real, we can talk about the ultimate playlist for when you’re cooking yourself dinner all we want, but we all know that Beyoncé is “acting up, mimosa in her cup” when you’re on your breakfast grind.

We’ve all seen it before: that little green-skinned, pear-shaped bed of healthy fat, aka the avocado, as a nice cozy cave for an egg, but the autumn season calls for bigger and better, folks. Let’s give a warm welcome to the single lady herself, Miss Acorn Squash.

She basically put her hand up in the club (also known as the Farmer’s Market) and I just couldn’t resist her autumn-essence. I came to thinking, if you can bake an egg in an avocado, why not bake one in half of an acorn squash? Seriously, she just decided to dip and really made me wanna trip…

I mean, sure, eggs are pretty good when baked in a ramekin too, but can you eat that piece of china so gracefully hugging that egg dish you just demolished? No. But can you eat that acorn squash that your lovely breakfast is so elegantly seated in? Hell yeah you can.

Believe me, I need no permission, but did I mention, that this dish is the perfect fall treat?

Just don’t be mad once you see that he want it.

Breakfast Acorn Squash

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:50 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour

• 1 acorn squash
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 breakfast sausages
  • Seasonings of choice

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Cut acorn squash down the middle.

Bake both halves face down on a baking sheet for 25-30 minutes, or until squash is soft.

Remove from oven and let halves cool.

Photo by Rebecca Doser

Meanwhile, cook up your sausage patties and seasonings over olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes.

Photo by Rebecca Doser

Break up sausage as it cooks.

Photo by Rebecca Doser

Scoop out the inside of your acorn squash, leaving just the skin.

Increase the oven to 425°F.

Mix together the squash and sausage, then spoon the mixture into the skin of the acorn squash.

Photo by Rebecca Doser

Press a little “dip” into the mixture with a spoon. Then crack an egg in it.

Place back into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until egg is cooked to your liking.

Photo By Rebecca Doser