Effective Date: August 8, 2015
- use, and
The Service Collects Your Information
|We collect Personal Information when you voluntarily submit this information through the Service. We also collect information, such as anonymous usage statistics, by using cookies, server logs, and other similar technology as you use the Service.|
Voluntary Submission. We collect information that you voluntarily submit to Spoon through the Service. For example, you must provide your email address when you subscribe to Spoon’s newsletter.
Social Sign-On. We may collect Personal Information from a social media website when you use your social media credentials to log into the Service. For example, when you log in with your Facebook credentials, we may collect the Personal Information you have made publicly available on Facebook, such as your name and profile picture. We may also obtain other non-public information with your permission.
Customer Support. We collect certain information, including Personal Information, which you provide to us when you contact us for customer-support purposes.
Cookies, Automatic Data Collection, and Related Technologies. The Service collects and stores information that is generated automatically as you use it, including your preferences and anonymous usage statistics.
When you visit the Service, we and our third-party service providers receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, and from cookies and similar technology. Cookies are small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Service. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the Service, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Service to their fullest potential. By using the Service, you are authorizing us to gather, parse, and retain data related to the provision of the Service.
How Spoon Uses Your Information
|We use Personal Information to:
We may use de-identified and aggregated information for any lawful purpose, including for marketing purposes.
Internal and Service-Related Usage. We use information, including Personal Information, for internal and Service-related purposes and may provide it to third parties to allow us to provide and improve the Service.
Communications. We may send email to the email address you provide to us (i) for customer service related purposes, or (ii) to provide you with updates relating to the Service, such as new and interesting news articles.
Marketing. Spoon uses information from the Service to provide advertising on the Service. Spoon may send emails or text messages to users for marketing purposes, and may track users across other websites and over time to provide targeted ads on its site or other sites.
Aggregate Data. We may de-identify and aggregate information collected through the Service and use it for any lawful purpose.
Spoon May Disclose Your Information
|We may share your information:
We do not rent, sell, or share Personal Information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes, unless we have your permission.
We Use Vendors and Service Providers. We may share any information we receive with vendors and service providers retained in connection with the provision of the Service.
Social Networking and Other Websites. The Service may allow you to share information, including Personal Information, with social networking websites, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumbler and Disqus. We do not share your Personal Information with these social networking sites unless you direct the Service to share your Personal Information. The use of your Personal Information by any social networking websites will be governed by their privacy policies, and you may be able to modify your privacy settings on their websites.
Displaying to Other Users. Content you post to the Service, such as comments to articles or any articles you write if you contribute editorial content, will be displayed on the Service and viewable by other users. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of the other users who will view and use this posted information, so you should carefully consider whether to post content on the Service.
Marketing. We do not rent, sell, or share Personal Information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes, unless we have your permission. We may share with other people or nonaffiliated companies other information collected by the Service to enable the delivery of online advertising to you on the Service.
As Required By Law and Similar Disclosures. We may access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information or other account information if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to (i) comply with law enforcement requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) respond to your requests; or (iii) protect your, our or others’ rights, property, or safety.
Consent. We may also disclose your Personal Information with your permission.
Security of Your Information
|We do not knowingly collect information from children under 13 and we do not want it. We will take steps to delete it if we learn we have collected it.|
We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from children under 13 years of age, and no part of the Service is directed to children under the age of 13. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, then you may alert us at Mackenzie@spoonuniversity.com. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Information from children under 13, then we will promptly take steps to delete such information and terminate the child’s account.
|By using the Service, you will transfer data to the United States.|
UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION OR POSE A QUESTION OR SUGGESTION
Spoon Media Inc.
11 West 36th Street
New York, NY 10018
Terms of Service
Effective Date: August 8, 2015
Welcome to the website offered by Spoon Media Inc. (“Spoon,” “we,” or “us”). These Terms of Service (“Terms”) apply to all content, materials, functionality and services made available by Spoon on its website located at http://spoonuniversity.com and any related subdomains (“Service”).
THESE TERMS CREATE A BINDING LEGAL CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AND SPOON, AND YOU SHOULD READ AND BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THEM BEFORE USING THE SERVICE. BY USING THE SERVICE, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS, YOU MUST NOT USE – AND ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO USE – ALL OR ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE.
AS FURTHER DESCRIBED BELOW, THESE TERMS REQUIRE THE USE OF ARBITRATION ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS TO RESOLVE DISPUTES, RATHER THAN JURY TRIALS OR CLASS ACTIONS, AND ALSO LIMIT THE REMEDIES AVAILABLE TO YOU IN THE EVENT OF A DISPUTE.
1.1 Description. The Service provides users with everyday food resources, including the best local restaurants and recipes, all written by people under 25 years old. Users can also apply to contribute content to the Service.
1.2 Eligibility; Subscribing Entities. THE SERVICE MAY ONLY BE ACCESSED AND USED BY PERSONS WHO ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER. IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE, PLEASE DO NOT USE OR ACCESS THE SERVICE AT ANY TIME OR IN ANY MANNER. If you wish to use the Service on behalf of a company, entity or organization (each, a “Subscribing Entity”), then you represent and warrant that you: (a) are an authorized representative of that Subscribing Entity with the authority to bind such entity to these Terms and (b) agree to be bound by these Terms on behalf of such Subscribing Entity.
1.3 Changes to These Terms. Spoon reserves the right to revise these Terms in its sole discretion at any time and without prior notice to you other than by posting the revised Terms on the Service. Revisions to the Terms are effective upon posting. The Terms will be identified as of the most recent date of revision. Your continued use of the Service after a revised version of these Terms has been posted on the Service by Spoon constitutes your binding acceptance of the revised Terms. Spoon will endeavor to provide you with prior notice of any material changes to these Terms by posting them to the Service. Notwithstanding the preceding sentences of this Section 1.3, no revisions to these Terms will apply to any dispute between you and Spoon that arose prior to the date of such revision.
1.4 Evolving Nature of Service. The Service is continually evolving and changes to the Service may be made at any time. If you do not like the Service or in any way disagree with these Terms, we hope you will let us know and give us constructive feedback. Please feel free to e-mail us at any time at Mackenzie@spoonuniversity.com. However, your only remedy in the event you are dissatisfied with the Service or these Terms is to discontinue your use of the Service.
1.5 Consideration. You understand and agree that these Terms are entered into in consideration of your use of the Service and other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged.
3. Use of the Service.
3.1 Third Party Sites. The Service may include links to external sites and applications owned or controlled by third parties (collectively, “Third Party Sites”). You are responsible for evaluating whether you want to access or use them. We are not responsible for and do not endorse any features, content, advertising, products, or other materials on third party websites or applications. You assume all risk and we disclaim all liability arising from your use of them.
3.2 Prohibitions. In using the Service, you further agree not to:
(a) Create a false identity or impersonate another person or entity in any way;
(b) Restrict, discourage or inhibit any person from using the Service, disclose personal information about a third person obtained from the Service without the consent of such person, or collect information about users of the Service not otherwise provided herein;
(c) Undertake, cause, permit or authorize the modification, creation of derivative works, translation, reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling or hacking of any aspect of the Service or any part thereof, or attempt to do any of the foregoing;
(d) Gain unauthorized access to the Service, to other users’ names or personally identifiable information, or to other computers or websites connected or linked to the Service;
(e) Reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, sell, trade, resell or exploit any portion of the Service, use of the Service, access to the Service or content obtained through the Service, for any purpose other than expressly permitted by these Terms;
(f) Transmit or make available any virus, worm, spyware or any other computer code, file or program that may or is intended to damage or hijack the operation of any hardware, software or telecommunications equipment, or any other aspect of the Service or communications equipment and computers connected to the Service;
(g) Remove, disable, damage, circumvent or otherwise interfere with any security-related features of the Service, features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of any part of the Service or any content on the Service, or features that enforce limitations on the use of the Service or any content on the Service;
(h) Use any scraper, spider, robot or other automated means of any kind to access the Service, deep-link to any feature or content on the Service, bypass our robot exclusion headers or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Service;
(i) Interfere with or disrupt the Service, networks or servers connected to the Service or violate the regulations, policies or procedures of such networks or servers;
(j) Violate any applicable federal, state or local laws or regulations or these Terms; or
(k) Assist or permit any persons in engaging in any of the activities described above.
4. Information Provided to Spoon.
4.1 Registration/Sign-up. If you are required to register with Spoon to gain access to certain portions or features of the Service, then you agree to provide true, accurate, current, and complete information as requested in any registration or sign-up form that you submit to Spoon through the Service, and to update this information promptly, and as necessary, to keep it current and accurate.
4.2 Log In Credentials. If you are required to use log in credentials to access certain portions or features of the Service, then you are responsible for maintaining the security of these credentials, and you will be fully responsible for all activities that occur through the use of your credentials by you or any third party. You agree to notify Spoon immediately at Mackenzie@spoonuniversity.com you suspect or know of any unauthorized use of your log in credentials or any other breach of security with respect to your account. Spoon will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from unauthorized use of your credentials.
5. Service Security. You are prohibited from violating, or attempting to violate, the security of the Service. Any such violations may result in criminal and/or civil penalties against you, as well as the termination of your privilege to use the Service, at Spoon’s sole discretion. Spoon reserves the right to investigate any alleged or suspected violations and, if a criminal violation is suspected, refer such suspected violation to the appropriate law enforcement agencies and cooperate fully with such investigations, including, but not limited to, the disclosure of any or all of your activities on or related to the Service.
6. User Content.
6.1 Definition. “User Content” means any content that users upload, post or transmit (collectively, “Post”) to or through the Service including, without limitation, literary works, photographs, audiovisual works, musical works, sound recordings, artwork and any other work subject to protection under the laws of the United States or any other jurisdiction, including, but not limited to, patent, trademark, trade secret, and copyright laws.
6.2 Intellectual Property Rights. YOU RETAIN ALL RIGHTS IN ANY USER CONTENT YOU POST TO THE SERVICE. BY POSTING USER CONTENT ON OR THROUGH THE SERVICE YOU ARE MERELY GRANTING COMPANY A LICENSE PURSUANT TO THESE TERMS.
6.3 License Grants. You hereby grant to Spoon an unrestricted, assignable, sublicensable, revocable, royalty-free license throughout the universe to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, communicate to the public, publicly perform (including by means of digital audio transmissions and on a through-to-the-audience basis), make available, create derivative works from, retransmit from Third Party Sites, and otherwise exploit and use (collectively, “Use”) all User Content you Post to or through the Service by any means, through any media and formats now known or hereafter developed, for the purposes of (a) advertising, marketing, and promoting Spoon and the Service; (b) sharing information about your User Content with third parties and Third Party Sites; and (c) Using your User Content on and through the Service as authorized in these Terms. You further grant Spoon a royalty-free license to use your user name, image, and likeness to identify you as the source of any of your User Content. You must not post any User Content on or through the Service or transmit to Spoon any User Content that you consider to be confidential or proprietary. Any User Content posted by you to or through the Service or transmitted to Spoon will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary, and treated as such by Spoon, and may be used by Spoon for any purpose or disclosed by Spoon to any third party with or without notice to you and without any liability to Spoon. For the avoidance of doubt, the rights granted in the preceding sentences of this Section 6.3 include, but are not limited to, the right to reproduce sound recordings (and make mechanical reproductions of the musical works embodied in such sound recordings), and publicly perform sound recordings (and the musical works embodied therein), all on a royalty-free basis. This means that you are granting to Spoon the right to Use your User Content without the obligation to pay royalties to any third party, including, but not limited to, a sound recording copyright owner (e.g., a record label), a musical work copyright owner (e.g., a music publisher), a PRO, a sound recording PRO (e.g., SoundExchange), any unions or guilds, and engineers, producers or other royalty participants involved in the creation of User Content.
6.4 You Must Have Rights to the Content You Post. You must not Post any User Content to the Service if you are not the copyright owner of or are not fully authorized to grant rights in all of the elements of the User Content you intend to Post to the Service. In addition, if you only own the rights in and to a sound recording, but not to the underlying musical works embodied in such sound recordings, then you must not Post such sound recordings to the Service unless you have all necessary rights, authorizations, and permissions with respect to such embedded musical works that grant you sufficient rights to grant the licenses to Spoon under these Terms. You represent and warrant that: (a) you own the User Content Posted by you on or through the Service or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in these Terms; (b) the Posting and Use of your User Content on or through the Service does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, intellectual property rights, or any other rights of any person; (c) the Posting of your User Content on the Service will not require us to obtain any further licenses from or pay any royalties, fees, compensation or other amounts or provide any attribution to any third parties; and (d) the Posting of your User Content on the Service does not result in a breach of contract between you and a third party. You agree to pay all monies owing to any person as a result of Posting your User Content on the Service.
6.5 Specific Rules for Musical Works. If you are a composer or author of a musical work and are affiliated with a PRO, then you must notify your PRO of the royalty-free license you grant through these Terms to us. You are solely responsible for ensuring your compliance with the relevant PRO’s reporting obligations. If you have assigned your rights to a music publisher, then you must obtain the consent of such music publisher to grant the royalty-free license(s) set forth in these Terms or have such music publisher enter into these Terms with us. Just because you authored a musical work (e.g., wrote a song) does not mean you have the right to grant us the licenses in these Terms.
6.6 Through-To-The-Audience Rights. All of the rights you grant in these Terms are provided on a through-to-the-audience basis, meaning the owners or operators of Third Party Sites will not have any separate liability to you or any other third party for User Content Posted or Used on such Third Party Sites via the Service.
6.7 Waiver of Rights to User Content. By Posting User Content to or through the Service, you waive any rights to prior inspection or approval of any marketing or promotional materials related to such User Content. You also waive any and all rights of privacy, publicity, or any other rights of a similar nature in connection with your User Content, or any portion thereof. To the extent any moral rights are not transferable or assignable, you hereby waive and agree never to assert any and all moral rights, or to support, maintain or permit any action based on any moral rights that you may have in or with respect to any User Content you Post to or through the Service.
6.8 No Liability. For the avoidance of doubt, Spoon will not be liable for any unauthorized use of User Content by any other user or third party.
7. Contributor Terms. If you are interested in contributing content that may be featured on the Service (“Contributor Content”), then please visit http://secretsauce.spoonuniversity.com/policy. Contributors are subject to additional terms (“Contributor Terms”), which may be accessed at http://secretsauce.spoonuniversity.com/policy.
8. Intellectual Property Rights.
8.1 Generally. The content made available on or through the Service, including without limitation, any text, graphics, photos, software, music, videos, sounds, and interactive features, may be protected by copyright or other intellectual property rights, and is owned by Spoon or third party licensors of Spoon (collectively, “Spoon Content”). No Spoon Content may be copied, reproduced, uploaded, republished, transmitted, posted, or distributed in any way without express written permission of Spoon or as otherwise specified in these Terms or permitted by functionalities of the Service. Modification of Spoon Content is a violation of the copyrights and other proprietary rights of Spoon or its licensors. All design rights, databases and compilation and other intellectual property rights in and to the Service, in each case whether registered or unregistered, and related goodwill are proprietary to Spoon.
8.2 Trademarks. All trademarks, service marks, logos and trade names on the Service, whether registered or unregistered, are proprietary to Spoon or to other companies where so indicated. You may not reproduce, download or otherwise use any such trademarks, service marks, logos or trade names without the prior express written consent of the appropriate owner thereof.
8.3 License Grant to You. You are hereby granted a limited, non-assignable, revocable license to access and use the Service for your personal, non-commercial use, including any software included with the Service, as provided for in these Terms and pursuant to the authorized features of the Service without modification, so long as you agree to these Terms, subject to Spoon’s right to terminate your right to use the Service in its sole discretion at any time.
8.4 No Implied Rights. There are no implied licenses granted in these Terms and all rights not granted to you as a user are expressly reserved by Spoon.
9. Feedback. We appreciate hearing from our users and welcome your comments regarding the Service. Please be advised, however, that if you send us creative ideas, suggestions, inventions, or materials (collectively, “Feedback”): (a) you hereby grant to us a worldwide, non-exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free and unlimited license to use the Feedback, whether written or oral, in any manner whatsoever; (b) we will not be subject to any obligation of confidentiality and will not be liable for any use or disclosure of any Feedback; and (c) we will be entitled to unrestricted use of the Feedback for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to you or any other person.
10. Copyright Policy.
10.1 General. Spoon respects the intellectual property of others. Infringing activity will not be tolerated on the Service. Spoon’s intellectual property policy is to (a) remove or disable access to material that Spoon believes in good faith, upon notice from an intellectual property owner or his or her agent, is infringing the intellectual property of a third party by being made available through the Service, and (b) remove any content made available on the Service by “repeat infringers.” Spoon considers a “repeat infringer” to be any person that has uploaded User Content, Contributor Content or Feedback to or through the Service and for whom Spoon has received more than two takedown notices compliant with the provisions of 17 U.S.C. § 512 with respect to such User Content, Contributor Content or Feedback. Spoon has discretion, however, to terminate any user’s right to use the Service after receipt of a single notification of claimed infringement or upon Spoon’s own determination.
10.2 Procedure for Reporting Claimed Infringement. If you believe that any content made available on or through the Service has been used or exploited in a manner that infringes an intellectual property right you own or control, then please promptly send a “Notification of Claimed Infringement” containing the following information to the Designated Agent identified below. Spoon may share your Notification of Claimed Infringement with the user alleged to have infringed a right you own or control, and you consent to Spoon making such disclosure. Your communication must include the following:
(a) A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the work(s) that has/have been allegedly infringed;
(b) Identification of works or materials being infringed, or, if multiple works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works;
(c) Identification of the specific material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit Spoon to locate the material;
(d) Information reasonably sufficient to permit Spoon to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which you may be contacted;
(e) A statement that you have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
(f) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
You should consult with your own lawyer and/or see 17 U.S.C. § 512 to confirm your obligations to provide a valid notice of claimed infringement.
10.3 Designated Agent. Spoon’s designated agent for receipt of Notifications of Claimed Infringement (the “Designated Agent”) can be contacted by mail at 11 West 36th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10018 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10.4 False Notifications of Claimed Infringement and Counter Notifications. The Copyright Act provides that:
[a]ny person who knowingly materially misrepresents under [Section 512 of the Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512)] (1) that material or activity is infringing, or (2) that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification, shall be liable for any damages, including costs and attorneys’ fees, incurred by the alleged infringer, by any copyright owner or copyright owner’s authorized licensee, or by a service provider, who is injured by such misrepresentation, as the result of [Spoon] relying upon such misrepresentation in removing or disabling access to the material or activity claimed to be infringing, or in replacing the removed material or ceasing to disable access to it.
17 U.S.C. § 512(f).
Spoon reserves the right to seek damages from any party that submits a notification under this Section in violation of the law.
11. Indemnity. You agree to indemnify and hold Spoon, and its officers, directors, employees, agents, successors, and assigns harmless from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees, arising out of or in any way connected to (a) your access, use, or misuse of the Service or Spoon Content, (b) your violation of these Terms, or (c) your User Content or Contributor Content. Spoon will use reasonable efforts to notify you of any such claim, action or proceeding for which it seeks an indemnification from you upon becoming aware of it, but if Spoon is unable to communicate with you in a timely manner because of an inactive e-mail address for you, your indemnification obligation will continue notwithstanding Spoon’s inability to contact you in a timely manner.
12. Warranty Disclaimers. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE,” WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND SPOON HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE AND ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT (INCLUDING USER CONTENT AND CONTRIBUTOR CONTENT) LOCATED THEREON, EITHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND/OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OF ACCURACY, OF QUIET ENJOYMENT, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.
13. Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL SPOON OR ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS, SUCCESSORS OR ASSIGNS BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR ACCESS OF OR INABILITY TO USE OR ACCESS THE SERVICE, OR ANY MATERIALS, CONTENT (INCLUDING USER CONTENT AND CONTRIBUTOR CONTENT) MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR OTHERWISE, WHETHER BASED IN TORT, CONTRACT OR OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF SPOON IS EXPRESSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT SHALL SPOON BE LIABLE IN THE AGGREGATE FOR ANY DAMAGES INCURRED BY YOU THAT EXCEED ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS.
14. Basis of the Bargain. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH CASES, YOU AGREE THAT BECAUSE SUCH WARRANTY DISCLAIMERS AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY REFLECT A REASONABLE AND FAIR ALLOCATION OF RISK BETWEEN YOU AND SPOON, AND ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN YOU AND SPOON IN LIGHT OF SPOON’S OFFERING MANY OF THE FUNCTIONALITIES OF THE SERVICE FOR FREE, SPOON’S LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
15. Term and Termination.
15.1 Term. These Terms will be effective commencing with your first use of the Service and will remain in full force and effect throughout your use of the Service, until such time as you cease all use of the Service, subject to the Survival provision of these Terms.
15.2 Termination. Spoon may terminate your use of the Service or any features or functionalities of the Service at any time and for any reason, with or without notice, for conduct violating these Terms or upon Spoon’s sole determination. You hereby agree to Spoon’s broad right of termination. You agree that if your use of the Service is terminated pursuant to these Terms, you will not attempt to use the Service, and further agree that if you violate this restriction after being terminated, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from any and all liability that we may incur therefor. You are free to terminate your use of the Service at any time; you can simply choose to stop visiting or using any aspect of the Service.
16. Jurisdictional Matters. The Service is controlled and operated by Spoon from its offices within the State of New York. Spoon makes no representation that materials on the Service or through the Service are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who choose to access or use the Service from other locations, including from outside the United States of America, do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable. Access to the Service from jurisdictions where the contents or practices of the Service are illegal, unauthorized or penalized is strictly prohibited.
17. Dispute Resolution.
17.1 Spoon is not a party to, has no involvement or interest in, makes no representations or warranties as to, and has no responsibility or liability with respect to any communications, transactions, interactions, disputes or any relations whatsoever between you and any third party in connection with your use of the Service. Disputes between you and Spoon are subject to this Section 17.
17.2 Mandatory Arbitration. Please read this carefully. It affects your rights. YOU AND SPOON AND EACH OF OUR RESPECTIVE SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, PREDECESSORS IN INTEREST, SUCCESSORS, AND PERMITTED ASSIGNS AGREE TO ARBITRATION (EXCEPT FOR MATTERS THAT MAY BE TAKEN TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT), AS THE EXCLUSIVE FORM OF DISPUTE RESOLUTION EXCEPT AS PROVIDED FOR BELOW, FOR ALL DISPUTES AND CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OR YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE. Arbitration is more informal than a lawsuit in court. Arbitration uses a neutral arbitrator instead of a jury or judge, allows for more limited discovery than in court, and is subject to very limited review by courts. Arbitrators can award the same damages and relief that a court can award. Please visit www.adr.org for more information about arbitration.
(a) Commencing Arbitration. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send to the other, by certified mail, a written notice of intent to arbitrate (a “Notice”), or, in the absence of a mailing address provided by you to Spoon, to you via any other method available to Spoon, including via e-mail. The Notice to Spoon should be addressed to Spoon Media Inc., 11 West 36th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10018, Attn: Chief Executive Officer (the “Arbitration Notice Address”). The Notice must (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought (the “Demand”). If you and Spoon do not reach an agreement to resolve the claim within 30 days after the Notice is received, you or Spoon may commence an arbitration proceeding as set forth below or file a claim in small claims court. THE ARBITRATION SHALL BE ADMINISTERED BY THE AMERICAN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION (“AAA”) IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION RULES AND THE SUPPLEMENTARY PROCEDURES FOR CONSUMER RELATED DISPUTES (the “Rules”), AS MODIFIED BY THIS AGREEMENT. The Rules and AAA forms are available online at www.adr.org. If you are required to pay a filing fee to commence an arbitration against Spoon, then Spoon will promptly reimburse you for your confirmed payment of the filing fee upon Spoon’s receipt of Notice at the Arbitration Notice Address that you have commenced arbitration along with a receipt evidencing payment of the filing fee, unless your Demand is equal to or greater than $1,000 or filed in bad faith, in which case you are solely responsible for the payment of the filing fee.
(b) Arbitration Proceeding. The arbitration shall be conducted in the English language. A single independent and impartial arbitrator shall be appointed pursuant to the Rules, as modified herein. You and Spoon agree to comply with the following rules, which are intended to streamline the dispute resolution process and reduce the costs and burdens on the parties: (a) the arbitration shall be conducted by telephone, online and/or be solely based on written submissions, the specific manner to be chosen by the party initiating the arbitration; (b) the arbitration shall not require any personal appearance by the parties or witnesses unless otherwise mutually agreed in writing by the parties; and (c) any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction.
(c) No Class Actions. YOU AND SPOON AGREE THAT YOU AND SPOON MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. FURTHER, YOU AGREE THAT THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE PROCEEDINGS OF MORE THAN ONE PERSON’S CLAIMS, AND MAY NOT OTHERWISE PRESIDE OVER ANY FORM OF A REPRESENTATIVE OR CLASS PROCEEDING, AND THAT IF THIS SPECIFIC PROVISO IS FOUND TO BE UNENFORCEABLE, THEN THE ENTIRETY OF THIS SECTION 17.2 SHALL BE NULL AND VOID.
(d) Decision of the Arbitrator. Barring extraordinary circumstances, the arbitrator shall issue his or her decision within 120 days from the date the arbitrator is appointed. The arbitrator may extend this time limit for an additional 30 days in the interests of justice. All arbitration proceedings shall be closed to the public and confidential and all records relating thereto shall be permanently sealed, except as necessary to obtain court confirmation of the arbitration award. The award of the arbitrator shall be in writing and shall include a statement setting forth the reasons for the disposition of any claim. The arbitrator shall apply the laws of the State of New York in conducting the arbitration. You acknowledge that these Terms and your use of the Service evidence a transaction involving interstate commerce. The United States Federal Arbitration Act shall govern the interpretation, enforcement, and proceedings pursuant to the Mandatory Arbitration clause in these Terms.
17.3 Choice of Law; Choice of Forum. These Terms and your use of the Service shall be governed by the substantive laws of the State of New York without reference to its choice or conflicts of law principles. Only if the Mandatory Arbitration clause is deemed to be null and void, then all disputes arising between you and Spoon under these Terms shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York County, New York, and you and Spoon hereby submit to the personal jurisdiction and venue of these courts and waive any defense of inconvenient forum.
17.4 Equitable Relief. The foregoing provisions of this Dispute Resolution Section do not apply to any claim in which Spoon seeks equitable relief of any kind. You acknowledge that, in the event of a breach of these Terms by Spoon or any third party, the damage or harm, if any, caused to you will not entitle you to seek injunctive or other equitable relief against Spoon, and your only remedy shall be for monetary damages, subject to the limitations of liability set forth in these Terms.
17.5 Claims. You and Spoon agree that, notwithstanding any other rights the party may have under law or equity, any cause of action arising out of or related to these Terms or the Service, excluding a claim for indemnification, must commence within one year after the cause of action accrues. Otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.
17.6 Improperly Filed Claims. All claims you bring against Spoon must be resolved in accordance with this Dispute Resolution Section. All claims filed or brought contrary to this Dispute Resolution Section shall be considered improperly filed. Should you file a claim contrary to this Dispute Resolution Section, Spoon may recover attorneys’ fees and costs up to $5,000, provided that Spoon has notified you in writing of the improperly filed claim, and you have failed to promptly withdraw the claim.
18.2 Waiver. A provision of these Terms may be waived only by a written instrument executed by the party entitled to the benefit of such provision. No failure or delay on the part of Spoon in the exercise of any power or right under these Terms shall operate as a waiver thereof. No single or partial exercise of any right or power under these Terms shall operate as a waiver of such right or of any other right or power. The waiver by Spoon of a breach of any provision of these Terms shall not operate or be construed as a waiver of any other or subsequent breach of these Terms.
18.3 Severability. If any provision of these Terms shall be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these Terms and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
18.4 Assignment. These Terms, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be transferred or assigned by you, but may be assigned by Spoon without restriction. Any assignment attempted to be made by you in violation of these Terms shall be void. These Terms will be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto, and permitted successors and assigns.
18.5 No Agency. You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and Spoon as a result of these Terms or use of the Service.
18.6 Survival. Sections 1.3, 1.5-1.6 and 3-18 will survive any termination of these Terms.
18.7 Headings. The heading references in these Terms are for convenience purposes only, do not constitute a part of these Terms, and shall not be deemed to limit or affect any of the provisions hereof.
18.8 Communication. You can contact Spoon by email at email@example.com by mail at Spoon Media Inc., 11 West 36th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10018.
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to those who sign up at the online sweepstakes page and who are at least 13 years old at the time of entry. The sweepstakes is open to the legal residents of the United States and is void where prohibited by law. Paid employees of Spoon University (the “Sponsor”) their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate in the Sweepstakes. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of Spoon University, as final and binding as it relates to the content. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
3. Sweepstakes Period: The sweepstakes period will be clearly identified in each sweepstakes or giveaway promotion. Entries will be accepted online starting at 12:00am the first day of the period and ending at 11:59pm the last day of the period.
4. How to Enter: The Sweepstakes must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided on this site. The entry must fulfill all sweepstakes requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are not complete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Spoon University. You may enter only once and you must fill in the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple e-mail addresses, identities or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Spoon University.
5. Prizes: The approximate retail value of all prizes varies for each sweepstakes. Please see specific sweepstakes or giveaway posts for details. You are not guaranteed to win a prize and your chance of winning is dependent on the total number of eligible entries received. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Sponsor. No cash or other prize substitution permitted except at Sponsor’s discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by winners is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Spoon University to use winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner selection and notification: Winners of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing under the supervision of the Sponsor. Winners will be notified via e-mail to the e-mail address they entered the Sweepstakes with within five (5) days following the winner selection. Spoon University shall have no liability for a winner’s failure to receive notices due to winners’ spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 15 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected. The receipt by winner of the prize offered in this Sweepstakes is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal and state laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY WINNER (AT SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE SWEEPSTAKES AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by you: By entering this content you understand that Spoon University, anyone acting on behalf of Spoon University, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Sweepstakes, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
9. Terms: Spoon University reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes should (in its sole discretion) a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. In such case, Spoon University may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Spoon University. Spoon University reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or website or violates these Terms & Conditions.
Spoon University has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Sweepstakes, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to; multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by sweepstakes rules; or the use of bots, macros or scripts or other technical means for entering.
Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Spoon University reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
By entering the Sweepstakes you agree to receive email newsletters periodically from Spoon University. You can opt-out of receiving this communication at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the newsletter.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering you agree to release and hold harmless Spoon University and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant’s participation in the sweepstakes and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF United States AND New York, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Sweepstakes, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in New York having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: For the names of the winners, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and in the body of the email type ‘Please e-mail me the winners’ list for the Spoon University Sweepstakes.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Sweepstakes is Spoon University, 11 W 36th St, New York, New York, 10018, United States;
15. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Pinterest, LinkedIn or Google. You understand that you are providing your information to the owner of this sweepstakes and not to Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Pinterest, LinkedIn or Google.
Yes, we deliver.
Get your new favorite articles, recipes and kitchen hacks sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for The Beet.
You tryna be tricky? That email doesn't look right.
I already joined, thanks!
Health is hard.
Like our “Spoon Health-ier” Facebook page because nutrition labels shouldn’t count as a foreign language.