Baking a cake has always intimidated me. I picture egg shells scattered all over the counter, my hair a floury mess, and a burnt cake as the finished product. But after stumbling across a cake recipe that only involved four ingredients and a simple push of a button on the rice cooker, I began to see cake baking in a new light.

So here’s a cake you can make using a rice cooker that requires absolutely no skill, and will please even the legend Martha Stewart herself.

Rice Cooker Cake

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:20-25 minutes
  • Total Time:25-30 minutes

• 1 cup self-rising flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk

Place flour, sugar, and egg into a mixing bowl and whisk together, while slowly adding the milk a little at a time until all ingredients are incorporated.

#SpoonTip: I used coconut milk, but you can use any type of milk.

Pour cake mixture into the bowl of the rice cooker and set the rice cooker to cook.

#SpoonTip: For an automatic rice cooker, you may have to push the button down 2-3 times until your cake is done.

Cook until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean, or the cake has a smooth, dry surface (about 20-25 minutes).

Slice and serve your rice cooker cake warm. Drizzle with maple syrup and top with berries, or keep it simple without any accompaniments.

Photo by Sunny Tang