West Lafayette, Indiana is home to Purdue and while it might be in the middle of nowhere, there are tons of hidden food gems you need to know ASAP.

1. We have a farmers market right on campus

Boilermaker

Photo By Jesse Palma

In the heart of campus at the Memorial Mall lies the farmers market. Every Thursday from May 5th to October 27th, there are plenty of fresh farm produce, prepared lunches and delectable sweet treats for you to taste en route to class. Purdue has one of the most well-known agricultural schools in the nation. Here is where you can check out more and plan your mealtimes accordingly.

2. Boilermaker Butcher Block

Boilermaker

Under the department of Animal Science we have very own Butcher in Smith Hall. Purdue raises most of the meat right here so be proud of the locally grown meat our school has to offer. Students in apartments, this one’s for you; buy pre-made meals or be fancy and impress with a T-bone steak.

3. Triple X was on TV

Boilermaker

Photo By Shelia Han

This now famous eatery has captured a lot of attention and even Food Network Star Guy Feri on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Purdue is famous on the BigTen Channel and also now the Food Network. West Lafayette is home to Indiana’s oldest drive-in and it’s something to brag about, especially Triple XXX’s dedication to serving Boilermakers in-house ground beef for their sensational burgers. Here is where you can read more about their history.

4. Dinning Courts are actually amazing

Boilermaker

We under-appreciate the true value of how great our dinning courts are. I mean, there is an endless variety of food to choose from every day, not to mention On-The-Go options and eating at the Union. Some schools just serve one kind of food per meal so Purdue really treats us like royalty. And honestly guys, its all you can eat. Enough said.

5. Sensory Lab

Boilermaker

Like getting paid to eat? Under the department of Food Science they have a Sensory Lab where you can sample foods. Companies will provide Purdue with food products to taste. It’s fairly simple to sign up online and is completely free; you answer some questions on a computer and eat some food. You even can get rewarded with a Target or Starbucks gift card. Here is where you can check our more info about the Sensory Lab.

6. Thank the local restaurants

Boilermaker

Photo By Kimberly Fu

Maru, Fiesta and South Street Smokehouse are just a few local joints you can only find here in West Lafayette. While Purdue may not have every restaurant available in your hometown, it’s a great selection that never leaves us unsatisfied. Take time to appreciate that. When your thinking of going to Chipotle again, think about trying something new (like Fiesta).

Boilermaker

West Lafayette has plenty to offer. Just thinking about all the fun things to do, great people to meet, and equally as great food options makes me miss the 765 all the more. Purdue has it’s own food mecca and it’s right in front of us. Be proud to be a Boilermaker. Boiler Up!