It’s Passover again, which means means bread is out (well leavened that is). When eaten plain, matzah lacks flavor and tends to leave a bland taste in your mouth. Many who celebrate Passover find it hard to incorporate matzah into their diet, but I’m here to share five great recipes that can make eating matzah both easy and enjoyable.

Peanut Butter and Banana Matzah

Photo by Tara Botwinick

Easy

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 4 minutes

Servings: 1

1 piece matzah
1 banana
2 tablespoons peanut butter (of your choice)

Directions:
1. Take the peanut butter and spread it on the matzah. Be careful when spreading, for matzah cracks easily.
2. On a cutting board or plate, take a knife and cut up the banana into slices as thin or as thick as you like.
3. Place the banana slices on top of the peanut butter and matzah and enjoy!

Matzah Brei

Medium

Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 14 minutes

Servings: 1

1 piece matzah
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 eggs
1/8 cup sour cream (optional)
¼ cup applesauce (optional)

Directions:

1. In a bowl, take the matzah and break into medium pieces. Soften the matzah by running it under hot water for a minute. Then squeeze out the water. Be careful not to wet it too much otherwise it will get soggy.

2. Take the two eggs and beat in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste then mix in with the matzah.

3. Heat frying pan with the olive oil. Pour the eggs and matzah mixture into the pan and scramble until cooked.

4. If you choose, add a dollop of sour cream and applesauce on top.

Margarita Matzah Pizza

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5-8 minutes
Total Time: 10-18 minutes

Servings: 1

1 piece matzah
1/8 cup tomato sauce (preferably Rao’s)
¼ mozzarella ball (or string cheese)
Basil

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. If you’re using a microwave, skip this step.

2. Take the tomato sauce and spread on top of the matzah.

3. Add the mozzarella and basil on top of sauce.

4. Put matzah on a baking sheet and cook for 5-8 minutes in the oven until the cheese has melted. If you are using a microwave, put matzah on a plate and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.

Matzah S’mores

Photo by Tara Botwinick

Easy

Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 2

1 piece matzah
1 Hershey’s chocolate bar
Marshmallows

Directions:

1. Break matzah into four squares.

2. Place two of the matzah squares on a plate and add the chocolate and marshmallows on top.

3. Microwave for 10-15 seconds, or until the chocolate starts to melt and the marshmallows expand.

4. Remove from microwave and add the other matzah pieces on top and press down to flatten.