For some, fall means visiting orchards to pick bounties of apples and pumpkins to slice, cut, and core into sauces, pies, and soups. For others, taking advantage of fall’s harvest might look something more like the produce section of the grocery store. However, a hot and dry summer has made it more expensive to enjoy fall’s iconic foods, both fresh-picked and store-bought. Enter: canned pumpkin. Pure canned pumpkin puree is almost identical to the pumpkin mush you get from scooping out a pumpkin yourself, but without the slimy mess of the actual operation. With a slow cooker, you’re just one can-opener away from a delicious soup that simultaneously fills and warms you up. So, add some canned pumpkin to your grocery list and use the arm strength you saved from not having to lug a heavy orange squash back from the store to unearth your slow cooker from the kitchen cupboards. Simply empty the ingredients into your cooker, plug it in, go to class, and come back to a soup perfect for a night of studying or a Reading Week movie marathon.

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes

Servings: 2

1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
Pinch ground cayenne pepper

1. Add all ingredients to the bowl of a slow cooker.

Photo by Kendra Valkema

2. Use a whisk to blend, then cover the cooker and set the heat to low.
3. After an 1 hour and 30 minutes, uncover and whisk to blend. If you’re not ready to eat the soup immediately, set the cooker to the warm setting and cover until it’s served. Otherwise, turn the cooker off or unplug it and pour the soup into one or two bowls. Serve with a simple side, like toasted whole wheat bread and fresh apple slices.

Tip: If you don’t own a slow cooker, you can also make this recipe on the stove. Simply combine all ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, then simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.