After a weekend of Dillo Day followed by grueling 90 degree weather, nothing sounds better than a fresh, light meal that can perhaps cure some of the damage done over the weekend–or at least not add to it.  This summer salad, tossed with sweet sugar snap peas, crunchy radishes, and colorful summer flowers is an ideal and healthy summertime lunch or side dish, whenever the weather is just too hot to turn on the oven.  While most people may have only encountered edible flowers garnishing an elaborate wedding cake, they are actually perfect tossed into a salad, making even the most effortless meals seem elegant.  I was first introduced to this salad-beautifying technique by my Aunt, who creates the most incredible summer salads from her backyard garden, adding radishes for a slightly spicy crunch and freshly torn mint for added flavor.  All you need is a really simple lemon-olive oil dressing to top it off.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5-10 minutes

Servings: 2

1-2 small heads of red-leaf or butter lettuce
2 cups of sugar snap peas (de-veined and sliced in half)
5 radishes thinly sliced
5 sprigs of mint
Handful of edible flowers (about half a container, found in the herb section of Whole Foods)
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese

Dressing:
1 Lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
1 clove of minced garlic
Salt
Pepper

1. Place washed and roughly torn lettuce leaves in a large mixing bowl
2. De-vein sugar snap peas and slice in half.  Add to salad. 3. Thinly slice radishes and toss into salad. 4. Add torn mint leaves and a handful of flowers. 3. Dot salad with pats of goat cheese. 4. Meanwhile whisk all dressing ingredients in bowl and reserve to toss with salad just before eating
Serve as a side salad or with crunchy bread for lunch!