Drake University’s Student Senate kicked off Democratic Debate day by hosting “Pancakes & Politics,” which featured free pancakes. From 9 am to noon, students, journalists and politicians were invited to grab some pancakes and talk to the community about the presidential candidates.

While students know that the debate is happening at Drake, Student Senate is hoping to get more students engaged and involved in the significance of the debate and politics in general. And what better way to do that than with free pancakes?

The Pancakes

Pancakes

Photo by Beth LeValley

I went into this event not expecting much from the pancakes. While I don’t intend to downplay the significance of free pancakes, I knew that the school was providing the breakfast, so it’s just best not to have high expectations. I had a few questions in my mind before I went to Quad Creek, where the event was held: Would the pancakes be made fresh? What kind of toppings would they provide? Who’s working the event? There are just entirely too many factors that go into the review of pancakes.

When I entered the venue, Quad Creek was entirely rearranged to create a path toward the pancakes, where you had to go past the Martin O’Malley table, Hillary Clinton table and Bernie Sanders table. Genius, on their part. Finding the pancakes was somewhat of a struggle, as they were hidden around the corner. But, the maple smell guided me in the right direction.

My first disappointment: the pancakes were stored in an aluminum tray.

Pancakes

Photo by Beth LeValley

Again, I won’t complain about free pancakes, but it would’ve been so nice to have fresh pancakes made right before your eyes. It might not have been the most logical process, but I would’ve been so thrilled.

My second disappointment: the only toppings were butter and maple syrup. Now, having other toppings wouldn’t have been a great financial decision, but the pancakes would have been so much better with strawberries, blueberries or even chocolate chips.

The Politics

Students seemed to enjoy the event, and even though I was there early in the morning, Quad Creek was packed. People even went (with their pancakes, of course) over to the tables to learn more about the candidates, which was the exact the goal of this event.

Pancakes

Photo by Beth LeValley

Chair of the Democratic National Committee Debbie Wasserman Schultz even showed up to the event, discussing issues like public education, student loans and the recent terrorist attacks in Paris.

A mobile straw poll was available for students to vote and a chalkboard was set up for students to share what issues are most important to them. And while students were discussing current events and politics, they were enjoying their pancakes.

Moral of the story: politics are actually more important than pancakes, as much as I hate to admit it. Shout out to the Drake University Student Senate for hosting such an engaged, informational and delicious event.

Pancakes

Photo by Beth LeValley