Photo by Lauren Kaplan

Foodies rejoice – the Farmers Market is not just a springtime activity. The Ithaca Farmers Market does not hibernate for the winter; it just moves indoors to The Space at Green Star, located at 700 West Buffalo Street. Foodies can get their fix on Saturdays from 11am to 2pm. You’ll be able to find some favorites from the Steamboat Landing Farmers’ Market we all know and love like artisanal cheeses, freshly baked pastries, free-range meats and winter produce including carrots, squash, potatoes and beets. Everything is locally sourced from Upstate NY, and many of the products are organic as well. This is a great way to support small local business as well as find the best ingredients to cook with.

Photo by Lauren Kaplan

Local produce can be a great way to use ingredients as inspiration for anything from a romantic dinner to a girls’ night in. For example, buy a 2 lb beet, peel, dice and roast it along with some other seasonal vegetables such as kale and carrots. For a perfect plate, add in some local NY State goat cheese, sear a piece of salmon and pair it with an Italian red wine. Because on an icy Ithaca night, what is better than great homemade food and great company?

Photo by Lauren Kaplan