Like runners preparing for the next day’s marathon, those who plan to drink should consume carb-based meals in large volumes to prepare for the strain their bodies are about to endure. Carbs are great to eat before you imbibe because they slow alcohol absorption, so you can consume more booze without the adverse effects.

But if you’re short on time, have some extra booze on hand and would rather just skip the preparation and get straight to drinking, there’s an easy way to combine everyone’s favorite things (beer and eating, of course) without venturing out for a BYOB dinner.

The Alfredo sauce in this recipe is made with beer, and when combined with mushrooms, peas, rosemary and a generous helping of bacon, it makes for a pasta dish that’s hearty and homemade with an unexpected (but not unwelcome) boozy twist.

This simple recipe calls for ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, and if you’re missing something, it’s open to adjustments. Let the pasta pregame begin.

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 4

1 cup frozen peas
1 cup crimini mushrooms
5 slices bacon
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
4 ounces fettuccine noodles
1 quart water
2 cans beer
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 package dry Alfredo sauce mix
Salt, pepper and grated Parmesan cheese to taste

1. Boil water and beer in two separate pots. Once water boils, toss in a pinch of salt. Once beer boils, mix in brown sugar.
2. Fry bacon in a large pan until crispy while waiting for liquids to boil.
3. Remove bacon and, using the same pan, sauté mushrooms and rosemary together until soft. Crumble bacon and set aside with sautéed mushrooms.
4. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions, or for 10–12 minutes. Meanwhile, microwave peas for 6–7 minutes.
5. Boil beer and brown sugar mixture until liquid has been reduced to amount specified on Alfredo sauce mix package. Then make Alfredo sauce according to directions on the package, substituting the beer for any liquid called for in the recipe.
6. Drain cooked pasta and toss with sauce, cooked peas, sautéed mushrooms and crumbled bacon in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot, with grated Parmesan on top if desired.