coffee

Photo by Giphy

There’s a reason I chose the following coffees and books – the books are entertaining and the coffees are delicious! The books are grouped into three categories. Each one is a different genre and will be enjoyed by different types of readers, and for every book, there’s a coffee that compliments the read.

1. For the Vacationer

BookMe Before You and the sequel After You by Jojo Moyes

Coffee: Skinny Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks

Quote: “I hope the coffee is good and strong and the croissants fresh and that the weather is still sunny.” –Jojo Moyes

Though the main character, Lou Clark, prefers a cup of tea over coffee, I think she’d drink anything caffeinated in order to maintain her constant bubbly personality. Me Before You is great for traveling, whether you’re on the beach or the lake because it is a page turner. Plus, Starbucks is always nearby. The book is about a successful young man who becomes a quadriplegic after a terrible accident. When the quirky Lou Clark losses her job at the local café, she desperately takes a job caring for the man, named Will Traynor. Lou’s eccentricity and Will’s bluntness creates humor in dark situations. The story develops into one of hope and loss, where you are bound to laugh and cry. So grab a caramel macchiato and get the caffeine buzz Lou Clark never goes without.

coffee

Photo by Suzanna Gibbs

2. For the Avid Reader

BookThe Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Coffee: Cup of medium roast coffee with a splash of cream from The Farmer’s Table

Quote: “‘It’s completely ridiculous that you won’t let us have coffee,’ said Andy, who was in the habit of buying himself a huge Starbucks on the way to school and on the way home every afternoon, without his parents’ knowledge. ‘You’re very behind the times on this.'” -Donna Tartt

The bitter taste of raw coffee with a hint of cream pairs nicely with The Goldfinch. The 773 page novel is not for the faint of heart, and one needs a strong cup of coffee to continue reading. The plot follows Theo Decker, a New York native, from childhood to adulthood and the turmoil in between. The famous painting, The Goldfinch, by Carel Fabritius is central to the plot and acts as an additional main character. Though the story is difficult to describe because of its complex circumstances, the intricacy makes the novel worthwhile and wonderful. After getting your cup of coffee to-go at The Farmer’s Table, head to The Dickson Street Bookshop and find many treasures including The Goldfinch. I bought my copy there for only $6.00.

coffee

Photo by Suzanna Gibbs

coffee

Photo by Suzanna Gibbs

3. For Broadening One’s Horizons

BookLittle Bee by Chris Cleave

Coffee: Flat White from your preferred coffee shop

Quote: “Pay rise, strong coffee, paracetamol.” -Chris Cleave

A Flat White pairs well with Little Bee because the drink is rich with taste but not because it is sweet. Similarly the story is rich with emotions that are humbling. The main character, a young Nigerian refugee, becomes friends with a widow from London. Despite the cultural differences between the two women, each relies on and teaches one another life lessons. In this novel you learn a lot about the lives of refugees through an exciting, thought-provoking plot. With recent debates surrounding refugees, this book is an interesting read.

coffee

Photo by Suzanna Gibbs