Ever heard of the Royal Agriculture Winter Fair?

If not, shame on you. This isn’t just your average cow show. The Royal attracts thousands of people from Canada and around the world. If you are into anything to do with animals, whether it is horses, cattle, or bunnies, goats and dogs that jump through hoops – this is the place for you. But let’s be serious, when you go to a fair, the food is what really seals the deal.

It’s impossible to list the multitude of food vendors and varieties available. Be prepared to make numerous visits to the ATM, because you won’t even question the quantities of cash you spend on every edible item in the building. If you only have a limited amount of time at the Royal, here is a list of annual food vendors that won’t disappoint:

1. Apple Dumplings

Royal Winter Fair Food

Photo courtesy of Sameer Vasta

A personalized, individual apple pie knock off that tastes better than the real thing. A whole apple covered in brown sugar and cinnamon, wrapped in a pastry before being baked to perfection. Eat it without any extras or add your choice of condiments. You can never go wrong with the classics though, butterscotch sauce, ice cream and whipped cream.

Absolute perfection.

2. Cinnamon Rolls

Royal Winter Fair Food

Photo by Gaby Scelzo

The battle between cinnamon rolls and apple dumplings for best food at the Royal has never been more intense. A large, puffy and sticky cinnamon roll served hot right before your eyes. The smell alone can make you feel faint. Icing is an option but rarely necessary, there is nothing plain about these cinnamon rolls.

Well worth the money.

3. Rosti

Royal Winter Fair Food

Photo courtesy of Amanda Shulman

If you like  warm and fried food, then this is for you. If you want to enjoy the rosti in all its glory, then add bacon and cheddar cheese. For the glamorous, fine diners out there, the smoked salmon rosti is divine. It may seem plain, but the mile long line up proves you wrong.

Just mention the word rosti at the Royal and everyone won’t stop talking about them.

4. Bison Burger

Royal Winter Fair Food

Photo courtesy of Flickr

The heavenly marriage of buffalo burger and pulled pork sandwich gave birth to this delicious barbecue sauce masterpiece. It’s not too spicy and the juicy meat and sauce combination is easily eaten with the warm bread bun. This sandwich competes with the rosti as the top savory food item at the Royal.

Be prepare to line up.

5. Fudge

Royal Winter Fair Food

Photo courtesy of Caitlin Shoemaker

I can’t even count the number of fudge vendors at the Royal. Needless to say, you cannot say that you had been to the Royal without eating fudge. Wherever you turn, you will see stacks of chocolate mint, peanut butter, cookies n’ cream, pecan maple, candy fudge and more.

Don’t feel bad about taking half an hour to decide on a flavour, the vendors understand.

6. Mini Donuts

tumblr.com" src="https://spoonuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/104/2015/11/tumblr_mh9vi1wy5N1s24p6io1_1280.jpg" alt="Royal Winter Fair Food" width="640" height="427" />

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

Remember those cheap, powder covered mini-donuts you used to beg your parents to buy from the grocery store? Let’s all ignore the fact that each of us probably still buys them as a guilty pleasure. But you will never go back after tasting the ones at the Royal. They come in an easy to carry paper bag and are the perfect munchies between a rosti and bison burger.

Trust me, these mini doughnuts are life.