It's tailgate season (for real, who actually cares about the football?Not me). If you're tailgating, chances are that you're there to get drunk—not for the football. And as a college student, you probably aim to drink in the cheapest manner possible. Now, I'm not part of Greek life but plenty of my friends are or are associated with it. And (somehow) I end up regularly tailgating with a couple fraternities on campus.

Susanna Mostaghim

Every fraternity I've tailgated with has at least one tailgate tradition, but the one I practiced most last year has what we called the yucca tradition. We'd take a gallon (sometimes two) of yucca supplied by one of the brothers and stand in a circle chugging it until it was finished. 

I had no idea what yucca (as a drink, not a plant) was before they introduced it to me. It tastes disgusting. But it gets the job done. It's basically straight liquor, but it's more palatable than shots.

Maybe I can stand it because I'm partial to citrus. Who knows? For the purpose of taking photos for this recipe (and my own health), I didn't make a group-serving of this—that wouldn't have ended well.

Yucca

• Cook Time:0

• 750 ml vodka
  • 5 lemons sliced
  • 5 limes sliced
  • 1 lb sugar
  • 5 lb ice
Susanna Mostaghim

Put sugar into container and pour vodka over it.

Susanna Mostaghim

Add lemons and limes then mix until sugar dissolves.

Susanna Mostaghim

Serve immediately over ice or chill then serve.

Susanna Mostaghim