Customizable is the trend these days. From cinnamon rolls to donutsfroyo and pizza, everyone wants something unique. Everyone has different tastes, so the make-your-own approach just makes sense. That's why you need to add this customizable granola bar recipe to your repertoire.

How to Make It Your Own

wheat flake, sweet, oatmeal, oat, corn, muesli, granola, wheat, cereal
Lexi Kelson

Nut butter: I used peanut butter (because I'm a low-key addict), but you can use any flavor you like. Just make sure it's not extra oily or thin or else the bars won't hold together well. Options include (but are not limited to) almond butter, cashew butter and sunflower butter. 

Honey: Go classic with regular honey like I did, or switch it out for agave nectar. You can also add more or less of this ingredient depending on how sweet you want your bars to be. 

Seeds: Sunflower or pumpkin seeds taste fantastic in granola bars, but you could also opt for a nut. Try almonds, pecans, pistachios or cashews, but just make sure they're sliced, slivered or chopped.

Cereal: While Rice Chex is the traditional route, feel free to grab any cereal your heart desires. Granted, a relatively neutral flavor would be ideal, but as long as you crush the pieces, I say go for it.

Chocolate Chips: This is the fun part. I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (very allergy friendly) because I was feeling chocolatey, but next time I might try dried fruit for my sweet factor. You can take out this ingredient all together or throw in a few - the creativity is up to you.

Customizable Granola Bars

• Cook Time:0

• 1 cup nut butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed cereal
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
chocolate, sweet, milk
Lexi Kelson

In a bowl, mix together nut butter and honey until creamy and fully blended.

cream, caramel
    Lexi Kelson

Add the rest of the ingredients, and stir to combine.

coffee, wheat, corn, cereal
    Lexi Kelson

Line a sheet pan or baking dish with foil. Press the mixture down into the pan until evenly distributed.

Lexi Kelson

Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to let the mixture firm up before you cut it into individual bars.

wheat, oat, corn, sweet, oatmeal, muesli, cereal, granola
    Lexi Kelson