If you’ve been craving pancakes, you’re in luck. On October 17th, 2015, the University of Virginia is hosting its 12th annual Pancakes for Parkinson’s (P4P). Join Spoon Virginia in supporting this awesome cause on the Lawn from 9 am to 2 pm.

Since P4P’s establishment at UVa in 2004, it has gained a very large presence on Grounds. It is the largest student-run fundraising organization at UVa, uniting the people of Charlottesville, as well as the students and staff to fight (well, flip) for a cure.

Although the pancakes are free, I repeat FREE, it is strongly encouraged that you donate. All of the event benefits will go to the Michael J. Fox Foundation. And need I mention that while you’re enjoying your delicious pancake(s), you will also have the opportunity to hear from many of UVa’s fantastic acapella groups. You can’t beat that combination.

This event will surely be a blast, so please come join us and flip pancakes to help raise awareness for Parkinson’s disease. But, let’s be real…who doesn’t love a tailgate with pancakes?

pancakes

Photo by Emily Laskoe

In the meantime, get in the pancake mood with this easy, pumpkin pancake recipe.

P.S. Be sure to make ’em before all of the pumpkin runs out.

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes

• 2 cup pancake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup water

Heat griddle to 375°F and lightly grease.

Mix the pancake mix and pumpkin pie spice together in a medium bowl.

In another bowl, whisk the egg and the brown sugar together.

Stir in the oil, the pumpkin and the water into the egg and brown sugar.

Combine the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients.

Use a 1/4 cup to pour the batter onto the griddle and let cook until bubbles start to form in the middle, usually around 1-2 minutes. Flip.

Photo by Emily Laskoe

Serve with fruit or cinnamon and honey, and if you’re feeling extra ambitious, try them with a cream cheese frosting.