Regardless of how you feel about it, candy corn is a quintessential part of Halloween. Unfortunately, many (if not all) brands of candy corn contain honey and/or gelatin, which makes it off-limits to our vegan pals. Although there are more and more vegan Halloween candy options available now than ever before, I can't help but notice that there is a serious lack of vegan candy corn available.

So I decided to do some research, and found a few different versions of vegan candy corn online, and slightly modified my favorite to come up with this recipe. So grab your apron (this is gonna get messy), and get ready to enjoy some cruelty-free Halloween spirit! 

Vegan Candy Corn

• Cook Time:0

• 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour plus more for mixing
  • yellow and red food coloring
  • parchment paper
Morgan Nielsen

Whisk together corn syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil in a medium-sized bowl.

egg, tomato
    Morgan Nielsen

Add in powdered sugar and mix until combined, then add the flour a bit at a time until completely incorporated into a thick dough-like texture.

egg
    Morgan Nielsen

Transfer the dough to a parchment paper-lined cutting board, separate the dough into three separate sections. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring to one ball, and orange (or a mix of red and yellow) to another. Leave the third ball of dough as is (this will be the white portion of the candy corn).

dough, flour
    Morgan Nielsen

Wrap the dough in parchment paper and put the balls in the freezer for around 10 minutes to make the dough less sticky and easier to work with.

Remove the dough from the freezer and roll the dough into three thick ropes and arrange in rows as shown.

vegetable
    Morgan Nielsen

Use a knife to cut the dough into triangles, and store in the fridge or freezer.

candy
    Morgan Nielsen