Keeping Passover can be difficult for many people. I love bread, cookies and pasta so it can be hard to find substitutes for the foods I love during passover. My annual struggle is the inspiration for why I've created this recipe, which is a fresh take on avocado toast: matzo avocado toast. With this toast, I'm still able to eat one of favorite green foods and I feel healthy, too. You can top this matzo avocado toast with an egg and feel full in no time.

Matzo Avocado Toast

• 1 avocado
  • 1 piece matzo
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • red pepper flakes
  • 1 egg
  • olive oil
butter, dairy product, croque madame, toast, bread, egg yolk, fried egg, egg
Hannah Freiberg

Cut your avocado in half, remove it from its skin, and put into a bowl. Now, mash the avocado and add in salt and pepper to taste.

avocado, cilantro, vegetable, guacamole, broccoli
    Hannah Freiberg

Spread the mashed avocado all over a piece of matzo.

vegetable, pie, guacamole, avocado
    Hannah Freiberg

Heat a small frying pan on low heat and drizzle in some olive oil. Then, crack one egg directly into the pan and cook until the edges become white and crispy.

dairy product, yolk, fried egg, egg yolk, egg
    Hannah Freiberg

Top with fried egg and red pepper flakes to taste.

Hannah Freiberg

This recipe is super easy and delicious. The matzo adds a great crunch and the egg adds tons of flavor and protein. If you don't like fried eggs, you can top with any other Passover friendly toppings. Enjoy!