Breakfast hybrids continue to grow in popularity.  I've always wanted to develop one, but I often fly too close to the sun. For example, one time I tried to stuff a pancake with a disk of milk and cereal, only for the milk disk to melt and spurt all over the pan.

gif
Eliza Wilkins

The first wave of inspiration for this recipe came when I learned that General Mills released Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Instant Oatmeal. Though everything about this sounds wonderful to an oatmeal and cereal lover like me, these products are only offered in Canada and contain a lot of added sugar. I wanted to create a healthier version that I could enjoy in my own country. 

The second wave came while I was heating up some almond milk and cinnamon for oatmeal and was immediately enveloped in a sweet and spicy aroma. I thought of Honey Nut Cheerios, and what would happen if I infused the almond milk with them as well. I dropped some cashews and cheerios into the pot of almond milk, and cereal-infused oatmeal was born.

The result was just as aromatic and comforting as the scent of warm cinnamon almond milk. The presence of soaked cashews throughout are like gobs of sugar cookie dough. I would highly recommend adding the banana and peanut butter: these sweet oats carry classic oatmeal toppings to a new level. 

Cereal-Infused Oatmeal

• 1 cup oats
  • 2 cups almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup Honey Nut Cheerios or cereal choice plus more for topping
  • 1/4 cup cashews plus more for topping
  • Peanut butter granola bananas etc optional
cookie, sweet, chocolate
Eliza Wilkins

Heat up the almond milk on medium to high heat with Honey Nut Cheerios and cinnamon.

banana
    Eliza Wilkins

When the almond milk is almost boiling, remove the soggy cereal from the pot.

meat
    Eliza Wilkins

Add the oats, and bring to a boil.

sweet, coffee, cereal
    Eliza Wilkins

Turn the heat down, add cashews, and let simmer for around 5 minutes, depending on what oats you use.

bread
    Eliza Wilkins

When oatmeal has reached desired thickness, pour into a bowl and add toppings to your heart's content.

chocolate, sweet, cereal
    Eliza Wilkins

Though not as bold as croissant French toast or breakfast sushi, this breakfast hybrid is one that will impress your taste buds. There is also absolutely zero chance of messing it up, so you are guaranteed a warm, hearty bowl of oats every time. You could easily substitute different combinations of spices and cereals, like Cocoa Puffs and cayenne.  Go ahead, try this recipe out and be proud of your excellent mash-up making skills.