Brussels sprouts and butternut squash are essential fall and winter vegetables. You just have to know how to make them. Otherwise, how will you one day yell at your child/spouse/pet dog named Roger, "Not until you eat your Brussels sprouts!"?

While we're putting in the effort, you might as well learn how to make them actually taste good, right? 

Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash

• 16 oz butternut squash peeled & cut into 3/4-inch chunks
  • 16 oz Brussels sprouts stems trimmed and sliced lengthwise in half
  • 2 tbsp EVOO or Pam spray
  • Salt & pepper
  • Seasoning: Cumin cardamom nutmeg oregano
  • Dijon Vinaigrette
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar or rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp EVOO or Pam spray
  • Salt & pepper
saute, pepper, vegetable
Emily Chandel

Preheat the over to 450° Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, prep ingredients, such as slicing the Brussels sprouts in half. Sneaky chef trick: buy the pre-chopped butternut squash from Trader Joe's!

sweet
    Emily Chandel

In a separate bowl, mix together the Dijon mustard, vinegar to make the vinaigrette. Whisk in EVOO. Finish with salt and pepper.

sweet, coffee, dairy product, milk, tea, cream
    Emily Chandel

Place the butternut squash and sprouts on a large baking sheet. Drizzle the EVOO and mix in with your hands to cover the vegetables.

cucumber, salad, vegetable
    Emily Chandel

Sprinkle the salt, pepper, cumin, cardamom, and other seasonings and mix together vegetables again. Spread the veggies evenly on the baking sheet.

vegetable, tofu, salad
    Emily Chandel

Roast at 450° for 20 to 30 minutes. Every 10 minutes, toss and flip over the veggies. When the vegetables have less than 5 minutes left to bake, drizzle the dijon vinaigrette over them.

potato, squash
    Emily Chandel

Place roasted veggies in a serving platter and impress your friends! Wow, winter vegetables and dressing, you must be so put-together!

squash
    Emily Chandel

...So proud of you. <3

If you're ready to conquer the rest of the veggie world, check out these recipes...

* Enjoy cruciferous veggies like you never have before with this buffalo-style cauliflower recipe!

* Show off how ~cultured~ you are with this ratatouille or broccoli stir-fry.

* For more Brussels sprouts deliciousness, try this fall vegetable medley of sweet potatoes, B-sprouts, and apples!