I was a sophomore, and it was my first day babysitting for a new family. I’d met them once before in a casual interview, and I was feeling confident they’d like me. Then, I was faced with the ultimate request: cooking dinner.

salmon

Gif courtesy of msfangirlgonewild.tumblr.com

I was able to use some salmon they caught on a fishing trip. Let me repeat that for emphasis: SALMON. THEY GOT IT ON A FISHING TRIP.

I couldn’t mess it up because they’d never be able to eat the same freshly-caught salmon again. I was nervous. I didn’t know where anything was or what they had in their cabinets. I decided to make a three ingredient recipe (that isn’t pancakes), and the rest is history.

Spoiler alert: It was delicious and I still work for this family.

If you’re ever in a foreign kitchen with no knowledge of what’s behind the cabinet and fridge doors, salt and a sear is your safest bet.

3-Ingredient Salmon

• Prep Time:3 minutes
  • Cook Time:12 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes

• 8 oz salmon
  • 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt
Photo by Blake McGuinness

Heat oil on medium to high heat.

Photo by Blake McGuinness

Add liberal amount of kosher salt to both sides of the salmon.

Photo by Blake McGuinness

Slowly place salmon in hot oil.

#SpoonTip: If you don’t know if the oil is hot enough, splash a little water on the pan. If it sizzles, it is hot.

Photo by Blake McGuinness

Flip after about 6 minutes. There should be a solid golden brown developed. If not, the sear isn’t up to Gordon Ramsay standards.

#SpoonTip: If the salmon is stuck to the bottom of the pan when you try to flip it, it’s not crispy enough yet.

Photo by Blake McGuinness

Cook the other side for about 6 minutes.

#SpoonTip: If the filet is thicker, the inside may take longer to cook. (This happened to me). Grab the pan’s lid and steam it for a few more minutes. When you poke the middle, it should be firm, not too squishy.

Photo by Blake McGuinness

That’s all. Seriously.