With some Irish blood in my family, every year I make sure to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in the best way I know how—with food. Since I wasn't really feeling the whole corned beef and cabbage thing this year, I decided to take a sweeter route with these leprechaun approved shamrock treats.

Remember making Rice Krispie treats as a kid? Well, replace the Rice Krispies with Lucky Charms, shape them like a clover, and there you have it: shamrock treats. These are the the perfect way to get in the St. Patrick's Day spirit if you're on a budget or a time crunch (which, let's be real, is often).

So, with that, inspired by the luck of the Irish, here is the recipe for shamrock Lucky Charms treats that will have you feeling like you've found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow:

Shamrock Lucky Charms Treats

• 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 5 cups Lucky Charms cereal
candy, cake
Abby Mainwaring

Grease a 9x13-inch pan by spreading either cooking spray or butter around the pan with a paper towel. Make sure to apply generously because the marshmallow will stick once cooked.

wine, tea
    Abby Mainwaring

Melt the butter in a large pan on medium-low heat. Once the butter is completely melted, add the marshmallows to the pan. Stir until the mixture is completely smooth.

butter, sweet, dairy product, milk, cream
    Abby Mainwaring

Add the Lucky Charms and stir until all of the cereal is coated with marshmallow.

Abby Mainwaring

Transfer the mixture to the greased pan and spread it using the back of the spoon. Let it cool for 10 minutes then move the mixture to a sheet of parchment paper to start shaping the treats.
    Waiting exactly 10 minutes allows enough time for the mixture to cool but still be malleable, so make sure to keep a close eye on the clock or set a timer.

sweet, wheat, cereal
    Abby Mainwaring

As gross as might feel, grease your hands with either butter or cooking spray, so you're able to form shapes without the marshmallow sticking. Then, start shaping the treats into shamrocks. I started by using a homemade cookie cutter and a cardboard cutout but found it easiest to just shape them with my hands with a picture pulled up for reference.

cereal
    Abby Mainwaring

Once you've shaped you treats, let them set a while longer until they are no longer malleable. Then, celebrate St. Patty's Day in sweet style with these crowd pleasing shamrock treats. Enjoy.

candy, cake
    Abby Mainwaring

Though you're mind may not go straight to dessert when you think St. Patty's Day, these shamrock treats will have you feeling some type of way come March 17th. Find your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow by biting into one of these shamrocks, and enjoy this sweet combination of Lucky Charms, marshmallows, and, of course, the luck of the Irish.